Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:49:56 -0700, mike wrote:

On 2017-05-28, T wrote:

Linux's downfall is the lack of applications.

Nonsense.

There is no Turbo Tax

GNUCash

No Quick Books

If I don't know what it is, so why woudld I care?

No M$ Office

Open Office, Libre Office, etc

So it depends, a crappy OS with five different apps to
do everything and gets infected with the turn of the wind
or a technically elegant OS with sparse amount of apps.

Yes, Winblows has more sophisticated applications (a term replaced by
"apps". cuz today's kids cannot express 4 syllables), but they are all
proprietary. IOW, they cost $$$$.

Yes, Winblows has more "accepted" applications/programs, but only cuz
stupid ppl are willing to spend $$$$ to solve their problems. I find
it hilarious that kids, today, can type faster with their thumbs than
I can by touch-typing on a regular keyboard, yet they are terrified of
the command line (CLI). WTF!?

nb

There's just about as many "free" and "open source" stuff for Windoze
as there is for Linux.

If you live in a vacuum and are willing to live with whatever you get with
linux, you're good to go. But don't expect your peeps to change the way
they do things so they can stay compatible with you.

And I double dog dare you to run a large commercial insurance
brokerage using linux on the desktop!!!! Even try running a decent
sised manufacturing and distribution business running Linux on the
desktop, in HR, Shipping and recieving, packing, and shop floor
inventory and BOM apps, including EDI with all your customers across
North America and world wide.