Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On 2017-05-28, T wrote:

Linux's downfall is the lack of applications.

Nonsense.

There is no Turbo Tax

GNUCash

No Quick Books

If I don't know what it is, so why woudld I care?

No M$ Office

Open Office, Libre Office, etc

So it depends, a crappy OS with five different apps to
do everything and gets infected with the turn of the wind
or a technically elegant OS with sparse amount of apps.

Yes, Winblows has more sophisticated applications (a term replaced by
"apps". cuz today's kids cannot express 4 syllables), but they are all
proprietary. IOW, they cost $$$$.

Yes, Winblows has more "accepted" applications/programs, but only cuz
stupid ppl are willing to spend $$$$ to solve their problems. I find
it hilarious that kids, today, can type faster with their thumbs than
I can by touch-typing on a regular keyboard, yet they are terrified of
the command line (CLI). WTF!?

nb

Try comparing apples to apples. Have one of your kids configure GRUB
and see how fast they type. They don't like CLI because they
have no idea WHAT to type and could care less.

Copy a file with a complex file name from one directory to another
six levels of directories away, using the CLI. I'll do it with a mouse
and we'll see who gets it right first...there, I'm done.
CLI has limited utility and even that's because nobody bothered to
write a user interface for it.

GUI encapsulates the entire set of command line options and source/targets
right there on the screen. You don't have to remember some
oddly-named parameter that works differently from the same parameter
used with another command. You don't have to know or care whether
you have grub1 or grub2 or legacy grub or...It's all right there on the
GUI screen for the exact version you're calling.