Posted to uk.d-i-y
Handsome Jack Handsome Jack is offline

Default I'm glad Jeremy Corbyn is putting aside trivial subjects like Trident to concentrate on what really matters - bank holidays

Tim Streater posted
In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:

Tim Streater posted
It's clear that Islamism was attacking people before the Iraq war, and
that these groups or their predecessors existed at least a decade
before 9/11. It's also clear that many of the countries they are
attacking had no links with the Iraq war.

It's even clearer that the 2003 Iraq war is, by a very long way, not
the only example of Western interference in the Middle East. It's
merely the most egregious.

I suppose one could take the "leave them to it" PoV. So if the likes of
Saddam shell one of their own villages with poison gas we should say
nothing and do nothing.

That's what "we" [i.e. Western governments] did when this gassing
happened in 1998 (IIRC). Until 15 years later it became convenient to
excavate it as a casus belii for launching a war that was actually
conducted in the Western powers' economic interests.

Well, I suppose talk is cheap so we could still
indulge in the expressions of outrage and light candles and hold
"vigils" and all the other meaningless vapourings. We could do that on
the one hand to satisfy our snowflake consciences

That's your suggestion, not mine. If you're saying it's a stupid thing
to do - well I agree, which is why I've never suggested it.

while selling him
arms on the other.

Selling who arms? What are you on about?

--
Jack