Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On 5/27/2017 1:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/27/2017 1:21 PM, Leon wrote:

If for some reason there was interference, a small piece of cut off
material dropped into the saw and later restricts the path of the
arbor/blade such that it restricts the arbor/blade carriage assembly
from dropping I believe the Bosch will still cut you.

Haven't actually seen one, but I'd venture that's a stretch...

You say that but I have often considered this possibility.
Yesterday I was trimming some small pieces of oak decorative trim.
I was trimming 8 pieces, removing pieces that were 1/4" wide, 1/8" thick
and 3.5" long. The first three fell in the slot behind the riving knife
slot before I noticed that they were not falling off behind the saw.
Long story short I fished 5 pieces out of the saw. Most were sitting
just above the brake. 2 pieces are still unaccounted for....

Those small pieces of wood are still pretty stout.

The two actions aren't independent so it's a different definition of
"redundant" than thinking.

The Bosch activation is akin to an airbag deployment; the location below
the arbor would have to have something pretty solid to support any
cutoff so think is remote chance at best...

Understood and it is highly unlikely but many think that it is highly
unlikely that they will ever benefit from this type safety device.
**** Happens. ;~)

Has Gass sold SS stock, Leon?

LOL. I do not think SS is a public company.