Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT But WTH Computer cases

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 4:19:36 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/26/2017 04:02 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

My old Dell desktops and laptop all have gigabit ethernet ports. I believe that's faster than WiFi or perhaps I'm mistaken? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Wireless Monster

I have seen claims of greater WiFi (802.11ac) speed, but actual speed is
less than claimed and I hear this is much worse with these higher speeds
(MIMO?). I'm sure the gigabit ethernet would be faster.

Looks like it (WiFi speed) is something like the disk compression that
claimed 200% capacity (you could store 200 MB on a 100 MB disk), but in
reality it was seldom more than about 110%.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I should have also mentioned that the 4 port switch in my cable modem is gigabit and I've another 8 port gigabit switch attached to that. Housemate is using it now with the computers I set up for him. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

At the center, I setup my own subnetwork off the centers WiFi and I often get speeds of 60 mbs. I use a very versatile Edimax WiFi access point/WiFi bridge set in bridge mode then plugged into the Internet port on my Cisco/Linksys WiFi router. With the center WiFi, I could only get a couple of access codes from the administrator for the WiFi meaning I could only use one code at a time per device so I used one of the passwords for the WiFi bridge and the WiFi router uses NAT to let me use only one password for my tablets, laptop and stick computer. I have staff members ask me for a password so they can get on my network to make phone calls from their smartphones because in the area of the center where I am, cellphones can't get a signal. I also have my MagicJack Plus connected to my router and use a standard phone to make VoIP calls. I still have fun with technology here but I miss all my toys at home. What little I can do keeps me from going completely bonkers. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchan...50/ew-7288apc/

https://tinyurl.com/km7en4l

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-E...outer/16401807

https://www.amazon.com/2014-Magicjac.../dp/B00DVWYRCQ