Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT But WTH Computer cases

It seems computer cases have changed a lot over the years.

I have three old computer cases, one is ten years old, two are around eighteen years old. I'm about to build a new computer and I want to use some old equipment, if it will work. Will these old cases work with the new motherboards, where the start, and reset buttons will work without much problem? I'm not interested in the USB ports, or audio ports on the front, but I will need the start button and reset button to work.

I've read some post on this group where someone builds computers. Its been a long time since I've built one, and connectors have changed a lot, according to pictures I've seen of new cases. I just don't want to end up having to throw away these cases. I've got power supplies and cases and would like to use them. Yes I'm a pack rat, and if I need to, I have a new case picked out if I absolutely must buy one.

recently I threw away several old video cards that don't work with newer computers. I almost had an anxiety attack. Now to do something with old audio cards?

Are there any other pack rats who understand how I feel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 21:50:30 -0500, "Albert Hodge"
wrote:

[...]

I have put stuff in cases that were pretty strange. The buttons on the
front are just switches but the headers may be different. If they are
discrete wires in a Molex, you can pop them out and move them around.
If it is ribbons, you are pretty much stuck with the layout you have
unless you want to get creative.
The other thing is the format of the board itself. A lot of time all
of the screw holes will not line up when the card slots do. If you can
get a few going that is usually enough as long as you understand where
you need support and are careful plugging in the cards. I insulate any
spots on the case that might hit the board in a bad spot. Most power
supplies are pretty much plug and play. The other thing is older cases
may not have enough cooling. I have one of those indoor/outdoor
thermometers with the remote probe. Put that probe in various places,
button it up and run the toughest program you have for an hour or so
to be sure you don't have any hot spots. Particularly look at the
video chips and drive bays.
I stuff a fan in any hole that looks like it will take one and then
make sure everything is cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

Unless building for a high end gaming or video edditing computer, you
are wasting time and money fooling with the old stuff. Most likely the
power supply will not work with the newer mother boards. Then you have
to buy the operating system.

Insted of building the computers, I look on ebay for the ones that are
refurbished and sell for around $ 150. They are powerful enough to do
most work. The will have the operating system on the hard drive.
Usually with a CD that has the operating system so they can be restored
if need be.

I have been involves to some extent with the computers from the time
before the so called IBM/Micorsoft computers. Used to build the
computers, but found that for my usage the used ones are plenty for what
I do as I do not do games so to speak of.

As being a packrat,I still have a few 3 and 5 inch floppy drives around.
I do have a couple of laptops with dos6.2 and WFWG on them , but they
are mainly to program some old equipment that newer/faster computers
will not program.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/24/2017 10:50 PM, Albert Hodge wrote:

[...]

When you're done building a new computer with old parts, you'll still
have an old computer.

I suppose if you have a need for an old technology computer it might
make sense but otherwise, what's the point?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2017 4:01 AM, junkmeister wrote:
[...]

So because I used an old case for my new computer - new motherboard ,
RAM , CPU , hard drive , optical drive , and power supply - that makes
it "old technology" ? Guess again Binky .

I too have a pile of old network cards , video cards , etc . I did
toss almost all of the modem cards though , the time for hooking a
telephone line to the computer is over ... and for now only 2 of the 7
devices we have that use an internet connection actually have a wired
connection , everything else is running on wifi . And since the wifi
connections now are faster than the wired , I'm considering putting
cards in the last 2 desktop comps too .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/25/2017 06:47 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

I too have a pile of old network cards , video cards , etc . I did
toss almost all of the modem cards though , the time for hooking a
telephone line to the computer is over ...

I do occasionally have use for modem, although I do throw out the
controllerless modems ("Winmodems") and just keep the real RS232 modems.

and for now only 2 of the 7
devices we have that use an internet connection actually have a wired
connection , everything else is running on wifi . And since the wifi
connections now are faster than the wired , I'm considering putting
cards in the last 2 desktop comps too .

Are you sure it's faster? Did you do tests? WiFi claims higher speeds,
but the actual speed is much less. Also, wired is simpler and more
reliable. I find that WiFi doesn't make sense in a device that stays in
one place.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." -- Thomas
Paine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2017 2:28 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Well , I'm basing that on what I see when I look at the connection
status . Is that not accurate ? I guess it's not really all that
important to have a 300 mb/sec intranet connection when my ISP only
supplies 10 Mb/s . It does make a difference with comp to comp transfers
though ...

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2017 3:28 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Also, wired is simpler and more
reliable. I find that WiFi doesn't make sense in a device that stays in
one place.

When you have to run a cable through three room and a floor it makes a
lot of sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 May 2017 18:35:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/25/2017 3:28 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Also, wired is simpler and more
reliable. I find that WiFi doesn't make sense in a device that stays in
one place.

When you have to run a cable through three room and a floor it makes a
lot of sense.

I lot of that depends on planning. I am a "wire" guy and every time I
have a wall open or any other opportunity I run some 3/4" smurf tube
to a convenient spot in the attic. Running wire becomes trivial after
that. I am currently pulling out some somewhat obsolete stuff and
replacing it with more modern stuff. I have WiFi here for my guests
but it is firewalled from my wired network.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 6:45:19 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

My old Dell desktops and laptop all have gigabit ethernet ports. I believe that's faster than WiFi or perhaps I'm mistaken? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Wireless Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I threw away four 3 1/2 floppy's that don't work.
A few years ago I threw away some 5 1/4 floppy's, and a working 8086 Tandy computer and monitor that I wish I'd kept and tried to sell on eBay.

When I took my old standby 500 MHz computer out of moth balls and plugged it in, the power supply blew out, so I grabbed another old power supply I've been saving, and used it.

I went ahead and ordered an ATX mid tower case and new power supply for the one I'm building.

There are SO MANY motherboards and processors to choose from, it's difficult to choose. I'm probably going to get an octa core, so I'll have plenty of power to run virtual machines, and get at least 8 gigs memory. Amazon has some good charts that tell how fast the processors are, but eBay has better pictures of motherboards. I was only planning to use an AMD processor, but have started looking at Intel, so that gives me lots more options. Some quad core processors have eight threads, and some octa core have eight threads, and some have sixteen threads. I want a full ATX motherboard with lots of expansion slots, even if I end up never using all of them.

There are lots of micro ATX motherboards that don't even have one expansion slot. Now motherboards are coming out with USB 3.1.

Oh well, I'm not going to rush into anything, and make sure I get what I want, even if it takes a couple of months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/25/2017 02:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

Well , I'm basing that on what I see when I look at the connection
status . Is that not accurate ?

No, it isn't, especially with WiFi. You need to actually test it. What
you actually get depends on several things, including other nearby
networks. IIRC, the WiFi connection is half duplex too (bandwidth is
shared between upstream and downstream).

I have 50Mbps internet, and a WiFi-connected PC that showed a 72Mbps
802.11n connection. Speed tests showed I was getting only about 38Mbps.
A 150Mbps WiFi connection (once I got wide channel enabled on the
router) got the whole 50Mbps.

Wired ethernet can use a much greater part of the advertised speed.

I guess it's not really all that
important to have a 300 mb/sec intranet connection when my ISP only
supplies 10 Mb/s . It does make a difference with comp to comp transfers
though ...

I'm frequently transferring large video files, as well as Linux and
Windows DVD images.

--

Snag

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Shell to DOS... Come in DOS, this is Shell calling, do you copy?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/26/2017 04:02 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

My old Dell desktops and laptop all have gigabit ethernet ports. I believe that's faster than WiFi or perhaps I'm mistaken? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Wireless Monster

I have seen claims of greater WiFi (802.11ac) speed, but actual speed is
less than claimed and I hear this is much worse with these higher speeds
(MIMO?). I'm sure the gigabit ethernet would be faster.

Looks like it (WiFi speed) is something like the disk compression that
claimed 200% capacity (you could store 200 MB on a 100 MB disk), but in
reality it was seldom more than about 110%.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Shell to DOS... Come in DOS, this is Shell calling, do you copy?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 4:19:36 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/26/2017 04:02 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

My old Dell desktops and laptop all have gigabit ethernet ports. I believe that's faster than WiFi or perhaps I'm mistaken? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Wireless Monster

I have seen claims of greater WiFi (802.11ac) speed, but actual speed is
less than claimed and I hear this is much worse with these higher speeds
(MIMO?). I'm sure the gigabit ethernet would be faster.

Looks like it (WiFi speed) is something like the disk compression that
claimed 200% capacity (you could store 200 MB on a 100 MB disk), but in
reality it was seldom more than about 110%.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I should have also mentioned that the 4 port switch in my cable modem is gigabit and I've another 8 port gigabit switch attached to that. Housemate is using it now with the computers I set up for him. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

At the center, I setup my own subnetwork off the centers WiFi and I often get speeds of 60 mbs. I use a very versatile Edimax WiFi access point/WiFi bridge set in bridge mode then plugged into the Internet port on my Cisco/Linksys WiFi router. With the center WiFi, I could only get a couple of access codes from the administrator for the WiFi meaning I could only use one code at a time per device so I used one of the passwords for the WiFi bridge and the WiFi router uses NAT to let me use only one password for my tablets, laptop and stick computer. I have staff members ask me for a password so they can get on my network to make phone calls from their smartphones because in the area of the center where I am, cellphones can't get a signal. I also have my MagicJack Plus connected to my router and use a standard phone to make VoIP calls. I still have fun with technology here but I miss all my toys at home. What little I can do keeps me from going completely bonkers. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchan...50/ew-7288apc/

https://tinyurl.com/km7en4l

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-E...outer/16401807

https://www.amazon.com/2014-Magicjac.../dp/B00DVWYRCQ

[8~{} Uncle Bonkers Monster

WTH??? Grampa[_2_] Home Repair 2 October 30th 12 08:57 PM
WTH? Should I buy a Volt? Vic Smith Home Repair 21 June 30th 12 05:36 PM
WTH Servo Dynamics amp repairman, or WTB rebuilt SD amp Mario Electronics Repair 4 June 2nd 06 05:20 PM
wooden computer cases Petsja Bolwer Woodworking 19 October 28th 05 06:02 PM
WTH: electrician/EE type in Dallas (Irving) area for milling machinepower conversion Mario Metalworking 4 August 11th 05 03:40 PM