Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Kitchen Sink Backed Up

On 5/27/2017 12:20 AM, Ed60062 wrote:
Today my wife was in the kitchen and black water came up through the sink drain. The faucet was off and no water was being used in other parts of the house. In fact, no one else was home at the time. No drains backed up in the basement or on the second floor. How could a first-floor kitchen drain back up when no water was running anywhere in the house? I could understand it if a basement drain had also backed up.

That sounds strange. I'd check the vent, but even that does not sound
right. Plugged vent will stop it from draining properly but unusual to
cause back flow. Ut would take an unusual occurrence to pressurize the
sewer system that much.