Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Sink Backed Up

Today my wife was in the kitchen and black water came up through the sink drain. The faucet was off and no water was being used in other parts of the house. In fact, no one else was home at the time. No drains backed up in the basement or on the second floor. How could a first-floor kitchen drain back up when no water was running anywhere in the house? I could understand it if a basement drain had also backed up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2017 12:20 AM, Ed60062 wrote:
Today my wife was in the kitchen and black water came up through the sink drain. The faucet was off and no water was being used in other parts of the house. In fact, no one else was home at the time. No drains backed up in the basement or on the second floor. How could a first-floor kitchen drain back up when no water was running anywhere in the house? I could understand it if a basement drain had also backed up.

That sounds strange. I'd check the vent, but even that does not sound
right. Plugged vent will stop it from draining properly but unusual to
cause back flow. Ut would take an unusual occurrence to pressurize the
sewer system that much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/17 9:20 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
Today my wife was in the kitchen and black water came up through the
sink drain. The faucet was off and no water was being used in other
parts of the house. In fact, no one else was home at the time. No
drains backed up in the basement or on the second floor. How could a
first-floor kitchen drain back up when no water was running anywhere
in the house? I could understand it if a basement drain had also
backed up.

was it extremely windy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 2:56:50 PM UTC-5, ZZyXX wrote:
On 5/26/17 9:20 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
Today my wife was in the kitchen and black water came up through the
sink drain. The faucet was off and no water was being used in other
parts of the house. In fact, no one else was home at the time. No
drains backed up in the basement or on the second floor. How could a
first-floor kitchen drain back up when no water was running anywhere
in the house? I could understand it if a basement drain had also
backed up.

was it extremely windy?

It was not windy; I thought of that. Nor was the dishwasher running. Today the drain is pretty well clogged. Drano didn't help. Tomorrow I remove the traps on the sink and disposer and clean it all out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It would take an unusual occurrence to pressurize the sewer system that much.

And if the sewer was pressurized I would have had backup in the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:20:58 PM UTC-5, Ed60062 wrote:
Today my wife was in the kitchen and black water came up through the sink drain. The faucet was off and no water was being used in other parts of the house. In fact, no one else was home at the time. No drains backed up in the basement or on the second floor. How could a first-floor kitchen drain back up when no water was running anywhere in the house? I could understand it if a basement drain had also backed up.

Did the backup alarm work properly? A small child could be injured or killed if the backup alarm isn't beeping and the sink backs over the child. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Flooded Monster