Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Enlarge a hole in wood?

On 26/05/2017 11:07, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 26/05/2017 10:27, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm. I'm
imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

If I am reading this right, the question is, basically can I "move" the
hole for the handles a bit further away from the edge of the door?
(either by simply making it larger, or by redrilling it but offset from
the current location)

e.g: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ch_Fitting.jpg

moving that hole on the left a bit further to the left...

A few options...

You can re-drill a hole larger if you use a twist drill - basically the
existing hole will allow the bit to centre. That does not work with flat
spade bits or forstner bits though.

If you simply want a bit more space toward one side of the existing
hole, then a file or rasp would be a quick way to elongate the hole.

If you want to drill a hole offset from its current location, you could
as you suggested fill it and redrill. However a quicker option would be
to drill a hole the size you want into a bit of scrap wood (bit of 3/4"
inch ply or some 2x1 would do), align that hole on the door where you
want it, and then clamp the scrap to the door. Now drill though using
the hole in the scrap to guide the drill. Note that with things like
flat bits that will only guide the bit so far - once the full width of
the spade is no longer in the guide it will wander or snag. (you can
probably get the full depth of the door by applying the guide to both
sides and drilling from both sides). The technique works ok with auger
bits though.

Other options include mounting two hole saws on the same arbour. The
back one, the size of the hole you want, and the front one the size of
the existing hole.

Thanks for that, but it's the hole in the side of the door, I'm looking
at. The existing latch is tubular, and a snug fit in a 22mm hole. All
the replacement latches (of 83mm backset) that I can find (I borrowed
some from helpful local stores) are rectangular, and at least 23mm high.
Everything I see on eBay has a similar height. I was just wondering
if I could screw a piece of wood on the side, and go through that, but
I'm not sure what would happen once I'm in the existing hole. It might
start to drift to one side.

Either use an auger bit and the same technique with a bit of scrap to
guide the auger.

Or just use a chisel to take some more material off the top and bottom
of the hole.

--
Cheers,

John.