Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enlarge a hole in wood?

Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm.
I'm imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct diameter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 May 2017 10:27:57 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm.
I'm imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct diameter.

A flat bit would go out of control. A spiral fluted bit close to the current hole size could be pushed sideways & cut, if not ideally. You might also get mileage out of those filing drill bits, but I bet a big fat spiral blacksmith's bit would be much better - and more expensive.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 10:27, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm. I'm
imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

If I am reading this right, the question is, basically can I "move" the
hole for the handles a bit further away from the edge of the door?
(either by simply making it larger, or by redrilling it but offset from
the current location)

e.g: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ch_Fitting.jpg

moving that hole on the left a bit further to the left...

A few options...

You can re-drill a hole larger if you use a twist drill - basically the
existing hole will allow the bit to centre. That does not work with flat
spade bits or forstner bits though.

If you simply want a bit more space toward one side of the existing
hole, then a file or rasp would be a quick way to elongate the hole.

If you want to drill a hole offset from its current location, you could
as you suggested fill it and redrill. However a quicker option would be
to drill a hole the size you want into a bit of scrap wood (bit of 3/4"
inch ply or some 2x1 would do), align that hole on the door where you
want it, and then clamp the scrap to the door. Now drill though using
the hole in the scrap to guide the drill. Note that with things like
flat bits that will only guide the bit so far - once the full width of
the spade is no longer in the guide it will wander or snag. (you can
probably get the full depth of the door by applying the guide to both
sides and drilling from both sides). The technique works ok with auger
bits though.

Other options include mounting two hole saws on the same arbour. The
back one, the size of the hole you want, and the front one the size of
the existing hole.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm.
I'm imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now,
the only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

If the hole is nearly in the right place, enlarge with a round wood file?

If it is miles out, you'll have to plug it and start again. You can buy
plug cutters in most tool places - you cut a plug from a similar type of
scrap wood and glue in place.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, but it's the hole in the side of the door, I'm looking
at. The existing latch is tubular, and a snug fit in a 22mm hole. All
the replacement latches (of 83mm backset) that I can find (I borrowed
some from helpful local stores) are rectangular, and at least 23mm high.
Everything I see on eBay has a similar height. I was just wondering
if I could screw a piece of wood on the side, and go through that, but
I'm not sure what would happen once I'm in the existing hole. It might
start to drift to one side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm. I'm
imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

A power tool is not always the answer.Use a half round rasp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

It's just a couple of mm, but too deep to file, I think. I hadn't heard
of plug cutters, but I'll take a look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm. I'm
imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

A power tool is not always the answer.Use a half round rasp.

Okay, thanks. I do have one somewhere, but it's quite a hard door, and
the hole will have to be made deeper than it currently is. Maybe once
I've started it off with a rasp, then I can cut it deeper with the bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

glue/screw/nail an offcut to the outside / other side of the door.
drill new hole into that and through the door.
remove offcut

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:
glue/screw/nail an offcut to the outside / other side of the door.
drill new hole into that and through the door.
remove offcut

[g]

I was thinking of that after I posted. I'm not sure that the flat bits
I have will continue to go straight once they're in the hole, although
they do have flat sides, which I suppose will help, and then I just have
to hold it straight. It does sound like the first thing I should try,
just to see how it goes. The wood (oak) is hard, which I think will
help to control things a bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm.
I'm imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct diameter.

I did exactly the same job with one of the wood auger bits like the
second type on this page:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ers_0071-5.JPG

I started by filing the entrance to the hole so I could ge the first
couple of millimeters of the bit centralised, and turned it a few turns
using a strap wrench on the chuck before cautiously finishing with the
low speed on the power drill. It was still hard to keep it central, but
I'm useless at carpentry so it must be reasonably possible.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

[...]

I think that would be easier to keep central than the flat things I
have. Means buying more stuff, though, which is starting to worry me
these days. I have too much stuff that I only bought for one job. Of
course, I will have more doors to do. OTOH, I thought that about all
the other stuff I bought, too :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 11:29, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:
[...]

A half round rasp and some elbow grease should get it then.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:

I did exactly the same job with one of the wood auger bits like the
second type on this page:

I think that would be easier to keep central than the flat things I
have.

I would tend to go with the auger, rather than the quad-flute someone
else mentioned, I find the letter *very* aggressive so they have their
place for drilling joists etc; but where the workpiece isn't held
firmly, or where the bit can wander, things can go wrong very quickly
with them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 10:27, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm. I'm
imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

Step drill?
E.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-sp...t-4-20mm/8528D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/05/2017 11:29, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:
[...]

I have one somewhere. It could at least start the hole if nothing else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:
On 26/05/2017 11:29, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:
[...]

Or even, a round Surform.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

If I can find one that goes up to 25mm (or even an inch :-)),which is
what I will need for this job, it might be a useful thing to have around
for other things, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 11:48, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
DICEGEORGE wrote:
glue/screw/nail an offcut to the outside / other side of the door.
drill new hole into that and through the door.
remove offcut

[g]

It might work if the offcut is at least as thick and strong as the door
being cut into, but the breakthrough into the asymmetric cut is likely
to be traumatic and difficult to control throwing the drill hard.

I was thinking of that after I posted. I'm not sure that the flat bits
I have will continue to go straight once they're in the hole, although
they do have flat sides, which I suppose will help, and then I just have
to hold it straight.

It is getting difficult to work out what you are trying to do. I
imagined a hole *through* a door for a handle but elsewhere it sounds
like you are talking about a blind hole into the door frame.

If there is a hole right the way through you could trace out the shape
and use a fret saw to cut the extra part out.

There are hybrid chunky drills that are midway between a twist drill and
a milling tool or a cone step drill which might just work if it is long
enough to be centred on scrap offcut nailed to the far side. Even so you
are going to get a kick off it every time the cutting side bites.

It does sound like the first thing I should try,
just to see how it goes. The wood (oak) is hard, which I think will
help to control things a bit.

Unfortunately it will make it incredibly difficult to control once you
have a cut into hard material on one side and no resistance at all on
the other probably flicking the drill out of your hands.

This is one example where the right hand tool will beat power tools.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 May 2017 11:29:22 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:
[...]

I used my Dremel, with a cutter bit.

wish to copy them they can pay me Β£1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:
glue/screw/nail an offcut to the outside / other side of the door.
drill new hole into that and through the door.
remove offcut

[g]

It might work if the offcut is at least as thick and strong as the door
being cut into, but the breakthrough into the asymmetric cut is likely
to be traumatic and difficult to control throwing the drill hard.

I was thinking of that after I posted. I'm not sure that the flat bits
I have will continue to go straight once they're in the hole, although
they do have flat sides, which I suppose will help, and then I just have
to hold it straight.

It is getting difficult to work out what you are trying to do. I
imagined a hole *through* a door for a handle but elsewhere it sounds
like you are talking about a blind hole into the door frame.

I am trying enlarge the blind hole that receives the mortice latch in
the side of an interior door. The old one has a tubular barrel about
22mm in diameter. I want one with a longer backset, to move the knob
away from the frame (so yes, I will need to make some other holes
through the door, but that seems easy enough), but the longer latches
all seem to be 'heavy-duty' and require holes about 24/25mm in diameter.

I do regret not being clear enough, but I do now have plenty of
suggestions :-)

If there is a hole right the way through you could trace out the shape
and use a fret saw to cut the extra part out.

There are hybrid chunky drills that are midway between a twist drill and
a milling tool or a cone step drill which might just work if it is long
enough to be centred on scrap offcut nailed to the far side. Even so you
are going to get a kick off it every time the cutting side bites.

It does sound like the first thing I should try,
just to see how it goes. The wood (oak) is hard, which I think will
help to control things a bit.

Unfortunately it will make it incredibly difficult to control once you
have a cut into hard material on one side and no resistance at all on
the other probably flicking the drill out of your hands.

This is one example where the right hand tool will beat power tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 11:29:22 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:
[...]

I do have a Dremel (and am always looking for excuses to use it) - I'll
have a look at the cutter bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
If the hole is nearly in the right place, enlarge with a round wood
file?

If it is miles out, you'll have to plug it and start again. You can buy
plug cutters in most tool places - you cut a plug from a similar type of
scrap wood and glue in place.

It's just a couple of mm, but too deep to file, I think. I hadn't heard
of plug cutters, but I'll take a look.

A wood rasp will remove a couple of mm in seconds.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 10:27, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm. I'm
imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

Given I have these items at hand, I would simply use a Dremel and a
tungsten carbide bit to 'move' the hole a little.

The rest of the ideas seem an awful lot of faffing around for just 2mm
of wood.

YMMV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I am trying enlarge the blind hole that receives the mortice latch in
the side of an interior door. The old one has a tubular barrel about
22mm in diameter. I want one with a longer backset, to move the knob
away from the frame (so yes, I will need to make some other holes
through the door, but that seems easy enough), but the longer latches
all seem to be 'heavy-duty' and require holes about 24/25mm in diameter.

Ah - a blind hole. Makes all the difference. If the new hole is a lot
larger, I'd be inclined to plug and glue up the old, and start afresh.
Either an auger or hole saw for 25mm. A flat bit tends to splinter badly
where it breaks through.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
If the hole is nearly in the right place, enlarge with a round wood
file?

If it is miles out, you'll have to plug it and start again. You can buy
plug cutters in most tool places - you cut a plug from a similar type of
scrap wood and glue in place.

It's just a couple of mm, but too deep to file, I think. I hadn't heard
of plug cutters, but I'll take a look.

A wood rasp will remove a couple of mm in seconds.

I have one, and I'll try it. But the bits of 'manual' work I've done on
these doors (rasping bits off) in the past has been hard, because the
bit I am looking at is solid oak, and the hole is about three inches
deep. I also need to make it an inch or so deeper for the longer latch
body.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I am trying enlarge the blind hole that receives the mortice latch in
the side of an interior door. The old one has a tubular barrel about
22mm in diameter. I want one with a longer backset, to move the knob
away from the frame (so yes, I will need to make some other holes
through the door, but that seems easy enough), but the longer latches
all seem to be 'heavy-duty' and require holes about 24/25mm in diameter.

Ah - a blind hole. Makes all the difference. If the new hole is a lot

Yup, otherwise, I'd have found a simple way to tackle it by now :-)

larger, I'd be inclined to plug and glue up the old, and start afresh.
Either an auger or hole saw for 25mm. A flat bit tends to splinter badly
where it breaks through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

It's the hole into the side of the door that the latch body slides into,
not the one that the spindle goes through :-) I need to make it wider
and deeper to take a larger latch body.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 12:23, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
[...]

Oh I've seen them bigger than that

Another option is a reamer

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hand-reamer-bits/0456894/

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Also everyone should brise this company. Their stuff is tough and it
really works. Uses are obvious

http://www.permagrit.com/index.php?cPath=68

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 14:30, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

Oh. Then the permagrit link I posted has some useful kit that will fit
in a drill go round and round and carve away..

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Maybe for starting it off, but I need a 25mm blind hole some 4 inches deep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

Yes, I rather liked the look of that :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

I've put a curved edge on solid oak with a permagrit block. Almost as
good as a router, though it took longer and I lost more weight :-)

A router with a 4" tool might work if such exists

But I think that the permagrits might actually do the job

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

I've long been curious, but have no idea how routers work, or even the
full extent what you can do with them. I've looked at them in shops,
and I've seen amazing things that have been made with them, but am not
mentally able to connect the two :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

They are simply crude milling machines for wood
Basically a router bit will not exist in the same space as solid wood
for long. The trick is to make up jigs and so on to control the movement
of the work-piece relative to the tool to get the desired outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vl8Jbw3cSk

is a really good basic primer on routing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

I've always fancied one, since the days when I used to read mail-order
catalogues when I was young (I didn't only head straight for the ladies'
underwear section). It's about time I found out what they did, so
thanks for the link.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 11:07, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Either use an auger bit and the same technique with a bit of scrap to
guide the auger.

Or just use a chisel to take some more material off the top and bottom
of the hole.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/26/2017 11:07 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Ah, so when you say "side" you actually mean "edge"? Going up from 22 mm
round to 25 mm round is actually just about possible with a flat (spade)
bit, particularly with a cordless drill which normally gives you a bit
more control than a mains one.

For the hole in the side (where you want to move the handle further in
from the edge) the quick and easy way is to turn the hole into a slot
using a "straight" saw bit in a multitool (3 cuts needed)