Posted to alt.home.repair
Albert Hodge Albert Hodge is offline

Default OT But WTH Computer cases

Ralph wrote:
In article ,
says...

It seems computer cases have changed a lot over the years.

I have three old computer cases, one is ten years old, two are around eighteen years old. I'm about to build a new computer and I want to use some old equipment, if it will work. Will these old cases work with the new motherboards, where the start, and reset buttons will work without much problem? I'm not interested in the USB ports, or audio ports on the front, but I will need the start button and reset button

to work.

I've read some post on this group where someone builds computers. Its been a long time since I've built one, and connectors have changed a lot, according to pictures I've seen of new cases. I just don't want to end up having to throw away these cases. I've got power supplies and cases and would like to use them. Yes I'm a pack rat, and if I need to, I have a new case picked out if I absolutely must buy one.

recently I threw away several old video cards that don't work with newer computers. I almost had an anxiety attack. Now to do something with old audio cards?

Are there any other pack rats who understand how I feel?

Unless building for a high end gaming or video edditing computer, you
are wasting time and money fooling with the old stuff. Most likely the
power supply will not work with the newer mother boards. Then you have
to buy the operating system.
Insted of building the computers, I look on ebay for the ones that are
refurbished and sell for around $ 150. They are powerful enough to do
most work. The will have the operating system on the hard drive.
Usually with a CD that has the operating system so they can be restored
if need be.
I have been involves to some extent with the computers from the time
before the so called IBM/Micorsoft computers. Used to build the
computers, but found that for my usage the used ones are plenty for what
I do as I do not do games so to speak of.
As being a packrat,I still have a few 3 and 5 inch floppy drives around.
I do have a couple of laptops with dos6.2 and WFWG on them , but they
are mainly to program some old equipment that newer/faster computers
will not program.

I threw away four 3 1/2 floppy's that don't work.
A few years ago I threw away some 5 1/4 floppy's, and a working 8086 Tandy computer and monitor that I wish I'd kept and tried to sell on eBay.

When I took my old standby 500 MHz computer out of moth balls and plugged it in, the power supply blew out, so I grabbed another old power supply I've been saving, and used it.

I went ahead and ordered an ATX mid tower case and new power supply for the one I'm building.

There are SO MANY motherboards and processors to choose from, it's difficult to choose. I'm probably going to get an octa core, so I'll have plenty of power to run virtual machines, and get at least 8 gigs memory. Amazon has some good charts that tell how fast the processors are, but eBay has better pictures of motherboards. I was only planning to use an AMD processor, but have started looking at Intel, so that gives me lots more options. Some quad core processors have eight threads, and some octa core have eight threads, and some have sixteen threads. I want a full ATX motherboard with lots of expansion slots, even if I end up never using all of them.

There are lots of micro ATX motherboards that don't even have one expansion slot. Now motherboards are coming out with USB 3.1.

Oh well, I'm not going to rush into anything, and make sure I get what I want, even if it takes a couple of months.