Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enlarge a hole in wood?

On 26/05/17 16:16, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/05/17 14:49, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/05/17 14:30, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
On 26/05/2017 10:27, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with
the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the
frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer
backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes
cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm.
I'm
imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now,
the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm
not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct
diameter.

Given I have these items at hand, I would simply use a Dremel and a
tungsten carbide bit to 'move' the hole a little.

The rest of the ideas seem an awful lot of faffing around for just
2mm
of wood.

YMMV

It's the hole into the side of the door that the latch body slides
into, not the one that the spindle goes through :-) I need to make it
wider and deeper to take a larger latch body.

Oh. Then the permagrit link I posted has some useful kit that will fit
in a drill go round and round and carve away..

Yes, I rather liked the look of that :-)

I've put a curved edge on solid oak with a permagrit block. Almost as
good as a router, though it took longer and I lost more weight :-)

A router with a 4" tool might work if such exists

But I think that the permagrits might actually do the job

I've long been curious, but have no idea how routers work, or even the
full extent what you can do with them. I've looked at them in shops,
and I've seen amazing things that have been made with them, but am not
mentally able to connect the two :-)

They are simply crude milling machines for wood
Basically a router bit will not exist in the same space as solid wood
for long. The trick is to make up jigs and so on to control the movement
of the work-piece relative to the tool to get the desired outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vl8Jbw3cSk

is a really good basic primer on routing