Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enlarge a hole in wood?

On 26/05/17 12:23, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/05/17 10:27, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer
backsets (the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the
holes cut for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a
couple of mm. I'm imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to
it, it will just bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try
that. Right now, the only thing I can think is to glue a bit of
wooden pole in there and start again. But is there another easier
way, I could do it? I'm not even sure that I could source the wooden
pole/dowel of the correct diameter.

Step drill?
E.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-sp...t-4-20mm/8528D

If I can find one that goes up to 25mm (or even an inch :-)),which is
what I will need for this job, it might be a useful thing to have around
for other things, too.

Also everyone should brise this company. Their stuff is tough and it
really works. Uses are obvious

http://www.permagrit.com/index.php?cPath=68

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell