Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default Enlarge a hole in wood?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I am trying enlarge the blind hole that receives the mortice latch in
the side of an interior door. The old one has a tubular barrel about
22mm in diameter. I want one with a longer backset, to move the knob
away from the frame (so yes, I will need to make some other holes
through the door, but that seems easy enough), but the longer latches
all seem to be 'heavy-duty' and require holes about 24/25mm in diameter.

Ah - a blind hole. Makes all the difference. If the new hole is a lot

Yup, otherwise, I'd have found a simple way to tackle it by now :-)

larger, I'd be inclined to plug and glue up the old, and start afresh.
Either an auger or hole saw for 25mm. A flat bit tends to splinter badly
where it breaks through.