Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enlarge a hole in wood?

On Fri, 26 May 2017 11:29:22 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer
backsets (the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the
holes cut for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a
couple of mm. I'm imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to
it, it will just bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try
that. Right now, the only thing I can think is to glue a bit of
wooden pole in there and start again. But is there another easier
way, I could do it? I'm not even sure that I could source the wooden
pole/dowel of the correct diameter.

If the hole is nearly in the right place, enlarge with a round wood
file?

If it is miles out, you'll have to plug it and start again. You can buy
plug cutters in most tool places - you cut a plug from a similar type
of scrap wood and glue in place.

It's just a couple of mm, but too deep to file, I think. I hadn't heard
of plug cutters, but I'll take a look.

I used my Dremel, with a cutter bit.