Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default 230V plug into a (type A) socket that looks like 120V (but isactually 220V) - is there such an adapter?

On Thu 25 May 2017 08:30:16p, philo told us...

On 05/25/2017 09:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/25/2017 10:15 PM, wrote:
So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a
plain 120V socket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V
coming through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug
it in that socket?

I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time
trying to figure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal
prong female to vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to
express this idea in a way that I could get anything meaningful
from Amazon or whatever.

Unfortunately it's an apartment with absent landlords, so I
can't easily change the socket. I'm fairly sure there must be an
adapter of this type somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

Anyway, any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Hoai

Sounds like someone half ass wired it. It does not meet code if
i a 120V receptacle wired with 220. You won't find a legal
adapter. I know how to make one but it is not legal and if
anyone gets hurt, it won't be from me.

Turnoff the breaker and change the receptacle. It is a 10 minute
job and will be safe.

Agreed. Under no circumstances would it be permissible to use a
115v outlet for 220.

Unfortunately people do a lot things that aren't permissible.

On my job, a customer actually cut the tab off the ground tine on an
incorrect 3 phase 460v plug and inserted it in the socket sideways.

It put 460 volts to the case of the equipment and left one phase unpowered.

The idiot could have gotten someone killed.