Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 230V plug into a (type A) socket that looks like 120V (but isactually 220V) - is there such an adapter?

So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a plain 120V socket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V coming through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug it in that socket?

I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time trying to figure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal prong female to vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to express this idea in a way that I could get anything meaningful from Amazon or whatever.

Unfortunately it's an apartment with absent landlords, so I can't easily change the socket. I'm fairly sure there must be an adapter of this type somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

Anyway, any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Hoai
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 May 2017 08:30:16p, philo told us...

On 05/25/2017 09:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/25/2017 10:15 PM, wrote:
So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a
plain 120V socket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V
coming through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug
it in that socket?

I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time
trying to figure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal
prong female to vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to
express this idea in a way that I could get anything meaningful
from Amazon or whatever.

Unfortunately it's an apartment with absent landlords, so I
can't easily change the socket. I'm fairly sure there must be an
adapter of this type somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

Anyway, any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Hoai

Sounds like someone half ass wired it. It does not meet code if
i a 120V receptacle wired with 220. You won't find a legal
adapter. I know how to make one but it is not legal and if
anyone gets hurt, it won't be from me.

Turnoff the breaker and change the receptacle. It is a 10 minute
job and will be safe.

Agreed. Under no circumstances would it be permissible to use a
115v outlet for 220.

Unfortunately people do a lot things that aren't permissible.

On my job, a customer actually cut the tab off the ground tine on an
incorrect 3 phase 460v plug and inserted it in the socket sideways.

It put 460 volts to the case of the equipment and left one phase unpowered.

The idiot could have gotten someone killed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2017 2:25 PM, Tony944 wrote:
*Horizontal prong are 220, "only Vertical prongs are 120", that is not mistake and it is legal*

You are mistaken and wrong! Nema 2-30R and 2-30P 240v plugs/receptacles have vertical blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/25/2017 09:35 PM, Retired wrote:

[snip]

The pictures here may help you decide what you have

http://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/NorthAm1combi.html

When I was 7, we lived in an old apartment that had strange duplex
receptacles we could use only one part of. They must have been like #4
in that diagram.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Shell to DOS... Come in DOS, this is Shell calling, do you copy?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 230V plug into a (type A) socket that looks like 120V (but is actually 220V) - is there such an adapter? 120%20vol;t[1].gif [1/2]

Posted to alt.home.repair

What he has is 6-20r or p

NEMA 6-20R USA power cord receptacle with cUL certification. Built to the
NEMA 6-20R standard. Rated up to 20A 250V. Our NEMA 6-20R power cord
receptacles are fully molded with a low profile ergonomic design and RoHS
and REACH compliant.

NEMA 6-20R power cord receptacle.

http://www.signalandpower.com/USA-3-...16-NEMA-6-20R/

"Bill" wrote in message
web.com...

On 5/26/2017 2:25 PM, Tony944 wrote:
*Horizontal prong are 220, "only Vertical prongs are 120", that is not
mistake and it is legal*

You are mistaken and wrong! Nema 2-30R and 2-30P 240v plugs/receptacles have
vertical blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2017 10:15 PM, wrote:
So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a plain
120V socket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V coming
through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug it in that
socket?

I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time trying
to figure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal prong female to
vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to express this idea in
a way that I could get anything meaningful from Amazon or whatever.

*Horizontal prong are 220, "only Vertical prongs are 120", that is not
mistake and it is legal*

Not sure what you are talking about. The OP said it looks just like a
120 but has 220V. that is not legal. He is looking for an adapter to
put his 220 horizontal plug on the AC cord into.

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2017 07:14 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting a link to a hosting site where you have your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Here's a NEMA 2-30R which looks similar to a NEMA 1-15R

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2017 10:15 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes I know sorry about that!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski"Â* wrote in message

On 5/26/2017 2:25 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski"Â* wrote in message

On 5/25/2017 10:15 PM,
wrote:
So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a plain
120V socket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V coming
through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug it in that
socket?

I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time trying
to figure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal prong female to
vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to express this idea in
a way that I could get anything meaningful from Amazon or whatever.

*Horizontal prong are 220, "only Vertical prongs are 120", that is not
mistake and it is legal>*

Not sure what you are talking about.Â* The OP said it looks just like a
120 but has 220V.Â* that is not legal.Â*Â* He is looking for an adapter to
put his 220 horizontal plug on the AC cord into.

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995.Â* We're not on 2400 dialup.Â* Just post the picture here if you want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 May 2017 17:53:05 -0400, Larry wrote:

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995. We're not on 2400 dialup. Just post the picture here if you want.

Well, Tony, Larry Dumb ASS is far from the best troll to take advice from. Ignore him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/29/2017 05:53 PM, Larry wrote:
On 5/29/2017 5:28 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting
a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995. We're not on 2400 dialup.
Just post the picture here if you want.

I vote to post the picture here as well. The problem with "free"
picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the
picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from
those places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2017 5:09 AM, Barry wrote:
On 05/29/2017 05:53 PM, Larry wrote:
On 5/29/2017 5:28 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting
a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995. We're not on 2400 dialup.
Just post the picture here if you want.

I vote to post the picture here as well. The problem with "free"
picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the
picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from
those places.

The original charter of the group with USENET says no binaries.
Technology has changed and perhaps the charter should be changed but it
was valid in the past. Some servers won't take the attached file.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 May 2017 09:06:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/30/2017 5:09 AM, Barry wrote:
On 05/29/2017 05:53 PM, Larry wrote:
On 5/29/2017 5:28 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting
a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995. We're not on 2400 dialup.
Just post the picture here if you want.

I vote to post the picture here as well. The problem with "free"
picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the
picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from
those places.

The original charter of the group with USENET says no binaries.
Technology has changed and perhaps the charter should be changed but it
was valid in the past. Some servers won't take the attached file.

The bigger issue is that the majority of free Usenet providers will
not carry the binaries. I can post a binary here through Easynews and
it will be carried by the paid services, but stripped by Eternal
September, Google Groups, etc.

A good image hosting site, one without much advertising is imgur.com.
I use uBlock Origin and that site is acceptable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 5:09:47 AM UTC-4, Barry wrote:
On 05/29/2017 05:53 PM, Larry wrote:
On 5/29/2017 5:28 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting
a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995. We're not on 2400 dialup.
Just post the picture here if you want.

I vote to post the picture here as well.

And how did that work out for Tony or anyone else? Anyone see a pic?
There are binary newsgroups where you can successfully post pics,
but this isn't one of them.

The problem with "free"
picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the
picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from
those places.

I guess that depends on the particular hosting site. But at least you
can usually see the pic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Okay, so after this conversation I looked closer at the socket, and it turns out the culprit is not the electrician, but the painter, because they painted over top of the sideways part of the socket, making it appear to be only vertical, but actually it is supposed to also support horizontal tines. Wish I could post the picture, but I'm not sure how to do it on Google groups?

I guess I'll use an adapter for now since I don't think I want to play with trying to "clean up" the socket, unless there's an easy and safe way of doing it...?

I measured the volts again, and it comes up as 210-215V. From what I've read "230V" is actually a range between 220-240, but... does this difference matter, or is it within normal expected range for 230V devices (e.g. A/C)?

Thanks again for all your input!

Cheers,
Hoai

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's the pictu

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9u...uNWxaLVpN/view
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Here's the picture)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9u...uNWxaLVpN/view

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2017 09:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/30/2017 5:09 AM, Barry wrote:
On 05/29/2017 05:53 PM, Larry wrote:
On 5/29/2017 5:28 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here.
Posting a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995. We're not on 2400 dialup.
Just post the picture here if you want.

I vote to post the picture here as well. The problem with "free"
picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the
picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from
those places.

The original charter of the group with USENET says no binaries.
Technology has changed and perhaps the charter should be changed but
it was valid in the past. Some servers won't take the attached file.

If usenet is to thrive, we need to strip the silly rules and regulations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2017 09:34 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
The bigger issue is that the majority of free Usenet providers will
not carry the binaries. I can post a binary here through Easynews and
it will be carried by the paid services, but stripped by Eternal
September, Google Groups, etc.

If I was paying money for usenet access, I'd want binary capabilities.
FWIW, giganews.com is awesome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2017 12:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:
And how did that work out for Tony or anyone else? Anyone see a pic?
There are binary newsgroups where you can successfully post pics,
but this isn't one of them.

I can't help it you chose a junk usenet provider. Give giganews a shot,
they're awesome!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 May 2017 05:09:39 -0400, Barry
wrote:

On 05/29/2017 05:53 PM, Larry wrote:
On 5/29/2017 5:28 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

Tony, this isn't a binaries group. Don't post binaries here. Posting
a link to a hosting site where you have
your binary files stored is the way to do it, OK?

Tony, Ignore the idiots. This isn't 1995. We're not on 2400 dialup.
Just post the picture here if you want.

I vote to post the picture here as well. The problem with "free"
picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the
picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from
those places.

You can NOT post binaries to a non binary group. It's not a case of
bandwidth - it is a case of the setup of the group. Alt.Home.Repair
is NOT a Binary capable list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:04:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Here's the pictu

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9u...uNWxaLVpN/view
Sure looks european and ancient to me. The round "ground" is a
give-away. Regardless, I doubt it meets ANY code today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2017 12:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:

The problem with "free"
picture hosting sites is all the javascript crap that runs before the
picture is displayed...and I personally don't trust javascript from
those places.

I guess that depends on the particular hosting site. But at least you
can usually see the pic.

I've used https://postimage.io/
Easy to use, free, not a bunch of crap with it. If I see a link to
tinypic I won't even click on it. Many ads and often no picture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 4:45:14 PM UTC-4, Trumpster wrote:
On 05/30/2017 12:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:
And how did that work out for Tony or anyone else? Anyone see a pic?
There are binary newsgroups where you can successfully post pics,
but this isn't one of them.

I can't help it you chose a junk usenet provider. Give giganews a shot,
they're awesome!

I've been here for over a decade and have yet to see anyone sharing
a pic directly on here, have never seen any people discussing pics
posted directly here. AFAIK, it's not a newsgroup that supports pics.
And I have no interest in screwing around with usenet providers
when Google Groups is free and works for me as well as others here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2017 4:45 PM, Trumpster wrote:
On 05/30/2017 12:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:
And how did that work out for Tony or anyone else? Anyone see a pic?
There are binary newsgroups where you can successfully post pics,
but this isn't one of them.

I can't help it you chose a junk usenet provider. Give giganews a shot,
they're awesome!

Giganews is good but Blocknews is as good but much cheaper
You can get 5 gigs for 2.75 and that will last most of us a year or more.

www.blocknews.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 May 2017 16:20:37 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 4:45:14 PM UTC-4, Trumpster wrote:
On 05/30/2017 12:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:
And how did that work out for Tony or anyone else? Anyone see a pic?
There are binary newsgroups where you can successfully post pics,
but this isn't one of them.

I can't help it you chose a junk usenet provider. Give giganews a shot,
they're awesome!

I've been here for over a decade and have yet to see anyone sharing
a pic directly on here, have never seen any people discussing pics
posted directly here. AFAIK, it's not a newsgroup that supports pics.
And I have no interest in screwing around with usenet providers
when Google Groups is free and works for me as well as others here.

There have been a half dozen or so binary images posted to this group
since 27 May 2017.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/30/2017 06:20 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

I've been here for over a decade and have yet to see anyone sharing
a pic directly on here, have never seen any people discussing pics
posted directly here. AFAIK, it's not a newsgroup that supports pics.
And I have no interest in screwing around with usenet providers
when Google Groups is free and works for me as well as others here.

I've seen some pictures here. I don't like the larger ones that get
split over more than 1 message.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If *every*thing is a high priority, then nothing is"