Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default Enlarge a hole in wood?

wrote:
On Friday, 26 May 2017 10:27:57 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Some of our doors have knobs, which we like (like idiots, we tend to
catch our sleeves on the ones with handles), but the problem with the
doors with knobs is that one's hand is a little too close to the frame
for 100% comfort :-) I wanted to fit some latches with longer backsets
(the 83mm ones seem about right), but they won't fit in the holes cut
for the existing latches. I need to enlarge them by a couple of mm.
I'm imagining that if I just try to offer the bit up to it, it will just
bounce all over the place, so I'm not going to try that. Right now, the
only thing I can think is to glue a bit of wooden pole in there and
start again. But is there another easier way, I could do it? I'm not
even sure that I could source the wooden pole/dowel of the correct diameter.

A flat bit would go out of control. A spiral fluted bit close to the current hole size could be pushed sideways & cut, if not ideally. You might also get mileage out of those filing drill bits, but I bet a big fat spiral blacksmith's bit would be much better - and more expensive.

NT

Yes, I only have flat bits, and I'm too scared to even contemplate
pushing one of those at the hole. I like the look of those spiral
fluted bits, assuming that you mean those stepped conical things that my
first search has found?