Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 230V plug into a (type A) socket that looks like 120V (but isactually 220V) - is there such an adapter?

On 5/25/2017 10:15 PM, wrote:
So, we have a dedicated socket for the A/C, which looks like a plain 120V socket, but it's not, I measured it and it has 220V coming through. So, once we get the 230V A/C in, how can I plug it in that socket?

I've tried looking online and have been having a very hard time trying to figure out (1) whether such an adapter (horizontal prong female to vertical prong male) exists, and (2) how even to express this idea in a way that I could get anything meaningful from Amazon or whatever.

Unfortunately it's an apartment with absent landlords, so I can't easily change the socket. I'm fairly sure there must be an adapter of this type somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

Anyway, any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Hoai

Sounds like someone half ass wired it. It does not meet code if i a
120V receptacle wired with 220. You won't find a legal adapter. I know
how to make one but it is not legal and if anyone gets hurt, it won't be
from me.

Turnoff the breaker and change the receptacle. It is a 10 minute job
and will be safe.