Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT But WTH Computer cases

On 5/25/2017 2:28 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/25/2017 06:47 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

I too have a pile of old network cards , video cards , etc . I did
toss almost all of the modem cards though , the time for hooking a
telephone line to the computer is over ...

I do occasionally have use for modem, although I do throw out the
controllerless modems ("Winmodems") and just keep the real RS232 modems.

and for now only 2 of the 7 devices we have that use an internet
connection actually have a wired connection , everything else is
running on wifi . And since the wifi connections now are faster than
the wired , I'm considering putting cards in the last 2 desktop comps
too .

Are you sure it's faster? Did you do tests? WiFi claims higher speeds,
but the actual speed is much less. Also, wired is simpler and more
reliable. I find that WiFi doesn't make sense in a device that stays
in one place.

Well , I'm basing that on what I see when I look at the connection
status . Is that not accurate ? I guess it's not really all that
important to have a 300 mb/sec intranet connection when my ISP only
supplies 10 Mb/s . It does make a difference with comp to comp transfers
though ...

--

Snag