Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydroforming with a pressure washer

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:10:55 PM UTC-4, tyre biter wrote:

A couple of days ago when I was checking out what was available at the scrap yard, I spotted a bunch of flourescent ballasts along with some ballasts for HPS lamps. The ones for the HPS were in nice extruded aluminum cases about 3 inches by 4 inches by about 12 inches. I just wanted the cases and not the electronics inside. So asked the owner if I could take ten home and take them apart there. Then bring everything back and we would settle up. That was fine with him, so took ten home. The end caps were secured by tork screws, no big deal. But the potting was a big deal. There were two slightly different models. It took me about 15 minutes per ballast to get the potting and electronics out. Glad I did not take more. Will take everything back tomorrow.

Does anyone know exacty what the potting is? It seems like it might be micro crystalline wax. Brown and pretty hard.

Dan