Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Smart meters not smart enough

On Tue, 23 May 2017 18:28:41 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

According to EDF, the current smart meters cannot cope with Economy 7
systems like mine.
However since all this about how hackable the current ones are and how the
comms has had to be redesigned etc, I really feel they should lay off
installing them till they are sure they work on all systems, cope with mixed
tariffs and are not hackable.
Brian

I received one in 2012 (I think) as part of a pilot. I got a recent
call from Scottish Power (or its subcontractors?) offering me a new
smart meter. I asked if it was compulsory. He said no. I said in
that case I was declining the offer.

I then got a letter from Scottish Power. I contacted customer
services to ask if the meter to be installed would be SMETS1 or
SMETS2. They replied to say that SMETS2 meters would become available
at some time in the future and they would (a) note my decision to
decline meantime and (b) contact me once SMETS2 meters become
available.

Methinks the cat is well and truly out of the bag.