Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

On Monday, 22 May 2017 22:38:57 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 10:49:42 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 21:59:01 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:58:25 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 20:34:48 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:06:56 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

It's not limited, I use the 0-60 time every time I pull out of a junction.

So limited then if thats the only time you use it.

I didn't say only. Every time I accelerate and nobody is in front of me. So

what is your 0-60 time ?

8 seconds.

Deoos that mean you arrive 8 seconds early than expected ?

No.

I'm just wondering how effective it is in the real world rather than in racing senerios where it's obviously important.

In the real world you are constantly changing speed due to junctions.

So do buses and cyclists, even pedestrains.

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Way too bloody small, and not in colour.

Neither of which mattered.

The most important things.

you think banking, finances and the law depend on colour ;-)

It happens less in the UK with computers because there's a chance the serial number if found could be traced back.

Who cares what the foreign country does with it?

The idea of recyling is to stop waste and hopefully limit pollution.
We could have dumped it all ion regents canel rarhewr than spending £1000s having someone to come and take it way.

If it's polluting another country, I don't care.

That's your chouce but I wouldn't want to pay £1000s to pollute somewhere else.
This is also what happens with fly tipping a person pays another to safely dispose of their rubbish and you're old TV that you paid the guy £10 to recyclce ends up in the local stream, why pay a ******* like that when you could have done that yourself for free.

Anyway, I've seen plenty pictures of Indians dismantling circuit boards to get the capacitors, gold, etc.

are they dismantling these working PCs you sent back?

No, I know where they went.

How ? Did you send them back with tracking devices ?

They were taken by colleagues personally to their destination and set up there.

Did you here about the prisoners in the USA who set up their own PCs from recycled parts for illegal activities from inside the prison ?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...tes_netwo rk/

Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

********, they were hand delivered.

Yeah sure.

Yes.

Seems quite a waste did yuo hand delivery them if no, who did hand deliver them ?

Because recycling isn't free for companies. Which is why I gave them away or just used the skip and didn't tell anyone.

Soem of those companies are just using the skip too, not recyling and some are fly tipping, of course yuo might have checked out the company to make sure they arent fly tipping, but hwo do you really check that.

Who cares? I do what's cheapest.

So most likely your PC went to fly-tipping.

The 50 or so PCs we had I had to take the HDs out of so all the PC had no HD and hence no OS.

I simply removed any data, or reformatted and reinstalled the OS.

For wqhatever reason we were more sensiative about what was on the HDs so they were taken out and NOT given away, I think some were reused in house, others were destroyed.

Were you incapable of simply wiping them?

Because theres the chance that someone could unerase them, while some were piut back into use, some were taken out to be wiped, otherwise I'd have to know the login details of each PC.

Then wipe then properly.

I did I used a hammer, best way to reformat a drive.
Those drives were about 5-10 years old and pretty small most were under 10GB
so not a lot of use in todays world well at the time.
And it was our software license was on them, we aren't allowed to give away MS licenses for free to anyone and everyone.

we also didn;t want licensed software being left on the machine s

Who gives a **** about licenses?

We doo, if they'd found our PCs being used we could be done for using pirated software.

If they're somewhere else, it's not you breaking the law.

It's our software so it could be traced back.

and didn't want to pay the costs of installing ODS's on 50 PC that were to be scrapped.

What cost? You just let them sit there for an hour installing.

The cost of 50 licenses for the OS. which was windows XP at the time which isn't free.

It was already paid for when you bought the machine.

No it wasn't as we had a site license.

ROFL! I used a trolley for some tower Imacs once. The stupid things were curved on the side, so they slid off.

Sounds likem teh G4 towers.

Yes.

Nice machines in their day I still have one, the cases are nice just a quick release and the side hinges down, unlike crap PCs where you have to use a screw driver and end up scratching yourself on bare metal edges.

Quite a few smashed cases. Form over function, typical Apple ****.

This from someone who trips when wearing shoes, and forgets how tall they are so hit their head.

I don't design curvy cases for things so they can't lie in their side.

Why would you want them to lie on their side ?