Steven

Default Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement

wrote in message
So I have three questions:

1) Realistically, is this anything to worry about? Or am I concerned over
nothing? Should I keep my nose out of this?

You shouldn't "worry" about it, but the problem should be remedied.

2) Would this violate any codes or building standards (in other words, is
this something a local government building inspector would take an

interest
in if they knew of the problem? This is in Michigan, if that makes any
difference).

Local code enforcers vary in thier interpretations, so i can speak for him,
but generally, basements must have a drainage system in place.

3) If there is a problem here, what would be the best approach to take

with
the contractor? Should my family member insist that a new layer of
concrete be poured that slopes toward the sump, or would that create other
problems? Would the excellent drainage of the soil indicate just leaving
well enough alone? If you are a contractor, would you categorize this sort
of defect as "serious" or "minor"?

Have a meeting with the contractor on site so the problem can be seen by
all. A topping of concrete can be applied to the floor to achieve adequate
drainage. Check with your local concrete supplier. They will have a
"topping" mix design, and the procedure for application. I would categorize
this defect serious, with a simple solution.

4) If additional concrete should be poured, is that something that the
homeowner would have to bear the expense of, or would that be considered a
serious enough flaw that the concrete subcontractor should be required to
fix it on his nickel?

What you describe is not within any tolerances for poured concrete,
therefore it would be considered performed with poor workmanship. The
expense would rest with the concrete finisher, but ultimately with your
builder.

Neither I nor the family member in question have ever done anything like
this before, so I guess what I'm wanting to know is whether this is a
significant problem, or something fairly normal? I have a feeling the
contractor is not going to think it's anything to be concerned about, and
if that is the case, is it worth making a fuss over? Time is of the

essence
here - if the situation is going to be rectified, it will be much harder

do so after another week or so.

As I said earlier, it is a significant problem with an easy fix. If he
feels that a sump pump that is placed in the highest point of the basement
is nothing to worry about, you need a new builder. He should have
contingencies in his pricing to cover mistakes such as this. If he balks,
ask him if his basement drains properly.