On Thu, 04 May 2017 13:30:25 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 12:29:41 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:52:57 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

If you have several cats, a transparent one would prevent them from both
going through at once.

I'm not convinced.

Would video proof help convince you ?

https://youtu.be/gHNeKgu1k34?t=76

Notice how the cat jumps back when it sees my cat through the transparant cat flap, notice how my cat waiting until the other leaves before he goes through the cat flap.

My cats go through at once from the same side.

Did you train them ;-)

As yuo might guess the video cature was using software which detected movement which triggered the camera this also set off an audio warning of 'intruder alert' a sound byte captured from a star trek episode.
If my cat was in the same room as the computer when this triggered he used to run down the hallway and down the back stairs to the cat flap.
Once when ST was on Red alert came up he looked around then went back to sleep as an intruder alert and red alert must have sounded differnt.

My cats aren't that clever, they're scared of a hoover.

Well yes they have a loud sound, my cat doesn't like the dyson and will watch it intently when on.

Why can't the cats see the flap moving
and realise that another cat is coming thru the other way ?

because it could be the wind or any other reason, could be me teaching them how to use the flap which is how I got my cat to use it.
Or it could be another cat so best to stop it coming through

I didn't teach mine. They had to if they wanted fed.

Same difference.

Same reason as it happens with people. It doesn't move until you push it. If person/cat A pushes the flap/door while person/cat B is too close to the other side, they get a busted nose.

Otherwise this could happen: https://youtu.be/1U1jSGib-NA?t=1m49s

Unlikely with cats.

They can see through doors?

They have good hearing so don't rely as much as seeing as humans do.

Seems to be smell more than anything.

I doubt a cat can smell a can opening from another garden.
We know the speed of sound and teh speed of light but what's the speed of smell ?

I've placed a piece of cheese in front of my cat, then moved it away a few metres, and it takes ages to find it by sniffing around. It really does look silly, it should have just watched where I put it.

Cheese isn't good for cats it's very fattening.

Maybe smell is more realible, which is why a human would be fooled on seeing a mirror image of cheese where as a cat wouldn't (kittens are easily fooled)