Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reluctantly have to increase my hourly rate

On Sun, 21 May 2017 12:08:10 -0600, Del Gue wrote:

On 5/21/2017 12:00 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ive not dumped my cameras yet, so will be adding to the album later
today. These are from a couple weeks ago.

https://goo.gl/photos/ysGEp3miwn4YJNng9

That's a reasonably tidy but sizable shop you're scrapping out.

Get some rest, maybe grab something down at the Jolly Kone?

Ive got to plasma cut out a centerboard for a guys sailboat that is
sitting out front. I was just hitting the plate of 3/8" I picked up,
with a 9" wire wheel with one of the big hand grinders and am getting
ready to lay it out. The boat is something of a piece of ****, with
concrete ballast. 17' long and built for beginners by a company long
out of business. Its lines are good..implimentation sucks big dogs
dick unfortunately.

Looks just like this one:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/st-c...ard/1161123035

Ill snap some photos as the work progresses. That centerboard is 1/4"
aluminum....which makes it ****ing useless and only hangs down about
18"..making the boat go upwind...hardly at all.

Ive designed a centerboard that will fan out from 2 pieces of 3/8
steel plate, which should provide at least..at least 50% more ability
to go to windward than it has now. Or at least...on paper...shrug.
Having an additional 45 lbs of ballast should help as well...even if
it doesnt go to windward...cringe. I think Ive got all the numbers
right..but this is my first serious "modification of hull design" and
am holding my breath that it works the way I designed it.
The owner has days off in the middle of the week, when Im down south
working..so his help has been non existant.

the link above....

The shop is going up for sale either in part or as a whole. He wants
$250k for the contents, and its more than worth it. He was a
millwright for most of his career, for GE and 20+ yrs ago, opened his
own business after never seeing his family for months at a time, world
traveling on GE service jobs. Everything from turbins to crushing
plants. Even now..he has more work than he wants to do..Ive posted a
number of links to the work Ive done with him. But his knees are in
bad need of replacement, his back is giving him fits and he is almost
70, so he simply wants to retire and go fishing. If I knew that end
of the business well enough..Id run it for him..but I dont..and admit
I dont..so we are shutting it down. Got a young guy ..a really sharp
sharp guy..who would love to buy it..and even do millwright work...but
he just expanded his business..so coming up with $250k might be out of
his reach. We keep telling him he needs to shut down his current
shop, move his machines down to this one, rent the building from Jim,
and make payments on the machinery and Jim would be happy to work as a
consultant to him for a fee. This guy is the one buying all the
materials for one-off machining jobs. Smart kid..really smart.

Having shops capable of making big parts is growing increasingly
scarce here in California...many many many have shut down, scrapped
their machines and gone tits up..so the remainder have a fair amount
of work at this time. Finding a shop that can refurbish a 15'
flywheel for a rock crusher...getting really hard to find. We did one
late last year, lying flat and out in the parking lot. (Grin)

Jim supplies the brains and tools..I supply the strong back and weak
mind (Grin) and sweat equity.

Gunner

---