Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC door.

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 16:30:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Any gotchas about a DIY install? I've done PVC windows and patio doors
OK some time ago.

The biggest gotcha IMO is that that they have a frame that goes ALL the
way round including the bit that sits on your existing cill, and you
will have to step over every time you go in or out.

I'd already added a special sill on top of the original in an attempt to
stop water ingress. As built, it had an aluminium bar. The problem
happened with the wind in a particular direction driving rain past it.
I described the problem here years ago and followed the advice given - but
with only partial success. Now I'm decorating the outside, seemed like a
good time to find a proper cure.

Plus what others
have said - floppy, poor locks etc.

When I put in my new 920mm wood front door, I had a custom machined
hardwood 70x75 frame made for it, with interal cill, seals, and fanlight
aperture above. Bit of overkill for your roof terrace, but a huge
immprovement on my old wobbly frame.

If it hadn't been for the water issue, was happy with the old door. It
certainly couldn't be described as wobbly.

My front door is the Victorian original and just fine - but it is situated
well back from the outside wall, so gets a degree of protection.

Did wonder if the door had opened outwards might have helped sort the
water leaking. As any wind would tend to blow it on to the seals.

Phil

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.