Old May 19th 17, 04:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC door.

I have an outside door to the roof terrace here. A fairly recent one -
perhaps 30 years old. Just a basic wood frame with a single full sized
double glazed plain glass panel.

The door opens inwards and has leaked off and on since it was fitted. It's
rather exposed up there. I fitted fancy seals which helped - but notice
some of the rubber has started to perish, and the wood frame of the door
isn't that great either.

It's not a period feature, and security isn't an issue, so I'm considering
replacing it with a UPVC one which hopefully would have better seals.

The present door in set into a custom made window frame - pretty chunky as
it is load bearing. If I removed the door and the planted on stops, I'd be
left with a basic wood frame made out of 4x2" which is well braced by
horizontals for the window - of the same size.

I've a horror of double glazing firms that install things. Googling has
found several firms that will supply a door and frame made to size.

Any gotchas about a DIY install? I've done PVC windows and patio doors OK
some time ago.

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old May 19th 17, 05:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Look at Composite Doors as well.
Old May 19th 17, 05:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 May 2017 16:34:21 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

IME
uPVC door frames are quite "floppy".
It's quite difficult to install them so all the locks etc. work.
You need lots of packing pieces to prevent the door frame distorting when you install.
Also has to be completely "flat"/parallel/square.
Old May 19th 17, 05:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

Look at Composite Doors as well.

http://compositedoorworld.co.uk/

Old May 19th 17, 10:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

A single pane fully glazed uPVC door isn't very rigid at the corners,
and will lozenge given half a chance. You prevent this by strategic
placement of packing pieces between frame and sealed unit - by what is
called "heeling and toeing". The sealed unit then gives the frame the
necessary rigidity.

The door hinges usually have adjusters for in and out, and to and away
from the frame - using Allen keys which effectively vary the
eccentricity of the hinge pins.

It's as well to make the frame slightly undersize, and use packing
pieces to allow for the brickwork (in your case wooden frame) being
slightly out of square - and then cover the gaps with a bead of mastic.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 20th 17, 12:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Any gotchas about a DIY install? I've done PVC windows and patio doors OK
some time ago.

A single pane fully glazed uPVC door isn't very rigid at the corners,
and will lozenge given half a chance.

Aren't they steel framed?

You prevent this by strategic
placement of packing pieces between frame and sealed unit - by what is
called "heeling and toeing". The sealed unit then gives the frame the
necessary rigidity.

I do remember spending time getting the patio doors absolutely square -
but I've lost the instructions that came with them. (they were a stock
size from Screwfix, and have lasted very well)

The door hinges usually have adjusters for in and out, and to and away
from the frame - using Allen keys which effectively vary the
eccentricity of the hinge pins.

It's as well to make the frame slightly undersize, and use packing
pieces to allow for the brickwork (in your case wooden frame) being
slightly out of square - and then cover the gaps with a bead of mastic.

Right. How is the frame normally fixed to the 'wall' (my wood frame)? Just
screws through it?

Basically I'm hoping the better locks and seals will keep out water over
the old wood door with just a single latch. Which flexed a fair bit.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Old May 20th 17, 02:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Why do you want a plastic (garbage) door?
You should check, your beloved EU might outlaw such crap.
That won't stop you though, right?
EU principles go out of the window when it's something for yourself.
You can come the high and mighty all you like, when it's for yourself you
couldn't give a ****.
Stuff the friggin EU.
You go for the crappy plastic door, Dave.
Your leader will be proud.

Old May 20th 17, 02:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

2nd posting attempt, god knows why i bother -

Old May 20th 17, 02:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

[...]

Tim, don't, just don't. You'd be wasting your type, as are we all.

Old May 20th 17, 07:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

A single pane fully glazed uPVC door isn't very rigid at the corners,
and will lozenge given half a chance.

Aren't they steel framed?

They have steel reinforcement in places, but usually not an entire steel
frame. Maybe you can specify it, maybe they include more reinforcement
above a certain size?

You prevent this by strategic
placement of packing pieces between frame and sealed unit - by what is
called "heeling and toeing". The sealed unit then gives the frame the
necessary rigidity.

Yes, need to get the packing right on any opener, and a door is a big
opener with lots of leverage, if you have e.g. a lower foam core panel
obviously that's much lighter than D/G.
Right. How is the frame normally fixed to the 'wall' (my wood

frame)? Just
screws through it?

Into wood that's what I'd expect, into brick frame anchors are typical,
then foam around the gaps, silicone or PVC trim for appearance.

Basically I'm hoping the better locks and seals will keep out water over
the old wood door with just a single latch. Which flexed a fair bit.

Yes, with the in/out/up/down/shake-it-all-about adjustment of the flag
hinges you get a good seal, though the operation is at first non-obvious.

Problem closing door after replacing upvc door frame rubber gasket [email protected] UK diy 2 October 30th 16 09:36 AM
Finding A new(ish) UPVC door to fit an old UPVC frame? Al Shahadie UK diy 1 September 24th 12 09:24 AM
Sticking an alarm door contact magnet to a UPVC door ARWadworth UK diy 8 May 18th 08 05:12 PM
door chain upvc door gort UK diy 5 December 24th 06 02:01 PM
Door Handle Replacement for uPVC Door John McLean UK diy 3 July 19th 06 01:07 PM