Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC door.

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Stuart Noble
wrote:

On 20/05/2017 02:56, bm wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I have an outside door to the roof terrace here. A fairly recent
one - perhaps 30 years old. Just a basic wood frame with a single
full sized double glazed plain glass panel.

The door opens inwards and has leaked off and on since it was
fitted. It's rather exposed up there. I fitted fancy seals which
helped - but notice some of the rubber has started to perish, and
the wood frame of the door isn't that great either.

It's not a period feature, and security isn't an issue, so I'm
considering replacing it with a UPVC one which hopefully would have
better seals.

The present door in set into a custom made window frame - pretty
chunky as it is load bearing. If I removed the door and the planted
on stops, I'd be left with a basic wood frame made out of 4x2"
which is well braced by horizontals for the window - of the same
size.

I've a horror of double glazing firms that install things. Googling
has found several firms that will supply a door and frame made to
size.

Any gotchas about a DIY install? I've done PVC windows and patio
doors OK some time ago.

2nd posting attempt, god knows why i bother -

Why indeed, bm, since you're unlikely to have anything worthwhile to add.

Why do you want a plastic (garbage) door? You should check, your
beloved EU might outlaw such crap. That won't stop you though,
right? EU principles go out of the window when it's something for
yourself. You can come the high and mighty all you like, when it's
for yourself you couldn't give a ****. Stuff the friggin EU. You go
for the crappy plastic door, Dave. Your leader will be proud.

And so it proved...

Tim, don't, just don't. You'd be wasting your type, as are we all.

IIRC everything apart from the glass is positioned accurately and set
rigid with expanding foam. Half an hour later the frame is drilled
through for the fixings, and lastly the glazing panels go in.
Installers carry a multitude of odds and ends, like a decent foam gun,
and a selection of trims that would be hard to find locally at short
notice. They're also good at knocking the bits in that secure the
glass (I'm not!)

Before the foam is applied, the frame is firmly screwed into the inner
leaf with a number of long screws.

Thanks Tim. I think the door and frame will arrive fully assembled. But
since there is about 5mm clearance all round, it would need to be packed
close to the screws to avoid any distortion? Then foam filled?

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.