Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Wax Conundrum?

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 10:27:07 AM UTC-5, Casper wrote:

If this stuff is so good and popular, why don't I see it in more
stores. I found it in an antique shop that's really more of a tiny
mini-flea market. I've been to hundreds of antique shops and never saw
this stuff before. Don't recall ever seeing it on Antiques Roadshow
either and I've watched tons of those episodes.

All of those things should be a warning.

If you were a real antiques dealer as opposed to someone that just sold old crap, you wouldn't trust a piece to a product you don't know. Worse, despite your efforts, you can't even find out what is in it. In many cases, the best value on an antique piece of furniture is based on the retention of the original finish.

Think how stupid you would feel if you put a product on a valuable piece and it lifted, clouded, or blistered the original finish and the price of your piece dropped 75%! What gets me is that will the Google-fu that has been used on this product that no one has been able to find a definitive, complete list of ingredients and solvents.

It would make me run away from it!

Robert