Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default What is cyanoacrylate accelerator for?

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 09 May 2017 04:18:59 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 09 May 2017 00:16:13 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 08 May 2017 21:35:11 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 17:53 8 May 2017, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

On Mon, 08 May 2017 17:43:27 +0100, pamela
wrote:

On 17:20 8 May 2017, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"James Wilkinson Sword" writes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Grocery/B...ylate-Accelera
to r-Superglue-activator/B005H0X8OS

In my experience, superglue sets instantly, usually before
you've got the workpieces together straight, why on earth
would you need to accelerate it?

There are two types. One sets on exposure to air (moisture
actually), and the other requires an activator to set.

There's also the rubbishy superglue I have had from the pound
shop which doesn't set even if left for hours.

(Not to be confused with the watery variant they sell which
squirts everywhere when opened and sets immediately.)

I thought cyanoacrylate was a chemical which would be the same
in every bottle? Is it watered down with something else?

You can get slow setting superglue.

I thought the whole idea of superglue was it's speed.

That's just one of the idea of superglue.

Otherwise you use contact adhesive or araldite.

Doesn't work when gluing wounds.

Wounds are stuck together with superglue?

Yep.

WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Medical

Oh. I thought it was bad for you to get it on your skin. So "bad for
you" just means you might stick your fingers together.

Medical superglue is a bit different (could have different solvents) but
people have used ordinary superglue on small wounds(may have minor side
effects)