Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New gas water heater questions

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 3:59:47 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 2:26:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:09:52 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:48:53 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

I have and the financials remain the same, awful. Between the high cost
of the unit and the likelihood that a new gas line to support it will
need to be run, it takes decades to break even, assuming it lasts that
long.

I'm curious about these but why would a new gas line need to
be run if there is an existing one there?

Because they use from 4 to 10 times as much gas when they are
running. A lot of homes even need the meter and the line from the
street changed to support a gas tankless heater.

Alabam Gas must be superior to the gas companies in Canadastan. Me and the guys never had a problem installing tankless gas water heaters in place of tank type water heaters. No new gas line was needed nor was a gas meter change needed. The only time I ever had to get a gas meter changed was when installing natural gas fueled backup generators in homes or businesses. It was because the generators required 11" WC NG pressure in order to operate. The meter and regulator feeding it had to be changed out to a two pound pressure system. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

A typical whole house 40 gal tank type is ~35K BTUs. I just posted
a link to a typical whole house tankless they claim is for a 2- 3 bedroom
house. It needs 200K BTUs. How do you get 200K worth of gas through
the piping going to a 35K water heater? How do you get enough gas in
the house using the existing line to support the furnace, cooking, dryer,
etc and the new 200K load? Must be some miracle gas at work in
AL or those people are taking cold showers. Around here gas lines
in homes were sized to the loads expected at the time and nobody was
expecting or sizing to an additional 200K load, which is probable
equal to what the whole house with all it's loads at the time was
sized to.