Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why 20" wheels

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 2:25:56 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 21:49:46 -0400, wrote:

EVET larger rim tire I have ever worked with weighed more than the
smaller rimmed equivalent. And I've worked with a lot of tire and rim
combinations over the years. Surprising fact is MOST alloy rims weigh
as much or more than the plain stamped steel wheel of the same size,
too (Talking street legat rims here, not Magnesium race wheels or spun
aluminum centerline drag wheels)

Apparently street legal wheels (a rim is only one component of a wheel) and competition wheels is why our
beliefs are diametrically opposed. I focused on competition wheels only which is why I said earlier that the
trend to larger wheels was born in competition.

ROFL. More spinning worthy of a Trumpet!

The thread was about passenger cars, Micky's question in particular.
You didn't preface your remarks by switching to competition wheels.
Here is what you said:

"There are several reasons for larger diameter wheels, none of which is styling.

1. Larger diameter wheels allow larger diameter brake rotors that will result in a greater mechanical
advantage. This results in increased stopping power.

2. Larger diameter wheels, for a given rolling radius, reduces the vehicle's un-sprung weight which will
allow the tire to remain on the road, where it's suppose to be, improving safety and handling. "

ROFL.