Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why 20" wheels

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 2:20:53 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 8 May 2017 18:44:18 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2017 02:42 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Your reading comprehension still needs work. First, because of a lower aspect ratio the tire will weigh less
than the previous tire. Also I didn't say the design, or manufacturing process for that matter, was the
same; but the larger wheel diameter provides a greater volume between the spokes and that volume is air. Air
weighs less than aluminum, steel and rubber. Got it now?

And the rim portion has a greater circumference and weighs more than a
smaller diameter wheel, to say nothing of having a greater rotational
inertia. Some 20" rim/tire combinations may be lighter and have less
rotational inertial than 16", some may not. The air volume between the
spokes doesn't mean ****. Got it now?

The "Got it now" was a sanrky reply specifically aimed at trader_4 when he used that same snarky reply to
me. OK?

Here are a couple links that support my statements in this thread:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=98
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=90
http://formula1-dictionary.net/wheels.html

What total BS. I don't see that those links support what you claimed
in any way. You claimed one benefit of larger diameter wheels is that they reduce unsprung weight, ie that they weigh less than a smaller diameter
wheel. Here's an example of what your links say:

"While many people choose aftermarket alloy wheels for their beauty, there are equally important performance benefits to be derived.

Reduced Unsprung Weight Compared to Steel Wheels"

That is very different from what you claimed. Of course substituting
alloy wheels for steel wheels can reduce unsprung weight. That isn't
what you claimed. And you doubled down by claiming that because there
is more air between the spokes of larger wheels, they weigh less.
Good grief, you're just like Trump. Get something wrong, then just
continue to make an ass of yourself and double down, deny, deny, deny.