Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Semi OT, drip coffee makers

On 5/9/2017 7:54 AM, wrote:

And what's the average lifetime of a Kerig?

George H.

I'm guessing less than two years based on what
I'm seeing at garage sales.
That solenoid runs very hot 24/7.
The plastic valve disintegrates.
If you plug it in for 5 minutes a few times a day,
it should last forever. At least, that's what I'm
hoping for.
The real K-cup coffee does taste better than the refillable
ones. I've done a lot of experiments to try to improve that,
but the only ones that improved the situation used proprietary
filters that cost about as much as the coffee you're brewing.

The drip pots I've used had nothing but a switch and a heating
element (plus the safety thermal cutout). Not much to go wrong.
I always turned them off immediately and reheated the contents
in the microwave a cup at a time as needed.

I still like the coffee made in the French Press better.
Made it once a week and put a gallon of it in the fridge.
But it takes half an hour to run several cycles thru the press
and clean up.

This thread made me realize that the only reason I use the Keurig
is my emotional investment in fixing it and all the little
DIY K-cup versions that I collected. And the coffee tastes
worse than the alternatives.

Where did I put that French Press???