Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default OT. Question for Diesel

On 05/09/2017 12:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:31:10 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 05/09/2017 11:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:15:44 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
OK, here is one you probably know more about than I do:

I was at a friend's house and she mentioned she had a (male) friend look
at her slow-running computer. He said "Edge" had been taken over by GCHQ.
He then advised her to use Chrome instead.

My guess is that he read this article (or one similar)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...veillance.html

Assuming the article is correct, from what I see, it doesn't support
the advice given, ie it says nothing about Edge vs Chrome or that
whatever the GHCQ and similar are allegedly doing would result in
noticeably slowing down your PC. In fact, it would seem that slowing
the PC down would be counterproductive from their standpoint.

I will chalk it up to the guy being a paranoid pot smoker.
When I asked him what evidence he had, he just got upset.

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.
If it had any of her stored pass words there, I confirmed that she knew
them all before I did it.

IDK what you mean by deleting the Edge profile. AFAIK, there are
user accounts on Win 10, Edge is the browser and you can use it from
any account.

It's a normally hidden folder

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Micro soft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Once that is deleted a new profile will be created next time you start
Edge. It does more than clearing cache through the GUI