Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Question for Diesel

OK, here is one you probably know more about than I do:

I was at a friend's house and she mentioned she had a (male) friend look
at her slow-running computer. He said "Edge" had been taken over by GCHQ.
He then advised her to use Chrome instead.

My guess is that he read this article (or one similar)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...veillance.html

As far as I could tell, the machine simply had the usual problem of too
many un-needed apps running at start up.

As a precaution however I deleted the user profile from "Edge."

What do you think, was the guy just being paranoid?

He had not installed any anti-malware software on the machine so have no
idea how he made his conclusion. (Actually I do, I think he smokes pot.)

When I got done, the machine was working ok.

What do you think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:15:44 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
OK, here is one you probably know more about than I do:

I was at a friend's house and she mentioned she had a (male) friend look
at her slow-running computer. He said "Edge" had been taken over by GCHQ.
He then advised her to use Chrome instead.

My guess is that he read this article (or one similar)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...veillance.html

Assuming the article is correct, from what I see, it doesn't support
the advice given, ie it says nothing about Edge vs Chrome or that
whatever the GHCQ and similar are allegedly doing would result in
noticeably slowing down your PC. In fact, it would seem that slowing
the PC down would be counterproductive from their standpoint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 11:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:15:44 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
OK, here is one you probably know more about than I do:

I was at a friend's house and she mentioned she had a (male) friend look
at her slow-running computer. He said "Edge" had been taken over by GCHQ.
He then advised her to use Chrome instead.

My guess is that he read this article (or one similar)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...veillance.html

Assuming the article is correct, from what I see, it doesn't support
the advice given, ie it says nothing about Edge vs Chrome or that
whatever the GHCQ and similar are allegedly doing would result in
noticeably slowing down your PC. In fact, it would seem that slowing
the PC down would be counterproductive from their standpoint.

I will chalk it up to the guy being a paranoid pot smoker.
When I asked him what evidence he had, he just got upset.

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.
If it had any of her stored pass words there, I confirmed that she knew
them all before I did it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:31:10 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
[...]

IDK what you mean by deleting the Edge profile. AFAIK, there are
user accounts on Win 10, Edge is the browser and you can use it from
any account.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:31:02 -0500, philo wrote:

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.

Would you explain this? Are you talking cookies, history, etc.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Edge is a pretty useless "work in progress" - barely a Beta level
release.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 May 2017 15:21:18 -0400, wrote:

Edge is a pretty useless "work in progress" - barely a Beta level
release.

It works well enough to get yourself another browser downloaded for
installation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 12:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

It's a normally hidden folder

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Micro soft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Once that is deleted a new profile will be created next time you start
Edge. It does more than clearing cache through the GUI
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 12:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:31:02 -0500, philo wrote:

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.

Would you explain this? Are you talking cookies, history, etc.?

No , I just posted that this hidden folder must be deleted for a
complete reset:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Micro soft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 02:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

I only have been using Win10 as of late simply to gain familiarity.

I have not used Edge enough to form a real opinion

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:38:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/09/2017 12:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:31:02 -0500, philo wrote:

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.

Would you explain this? Are you talking cookies, history, etc.?

No , I just posted that this hidden folder must be deleted for a
complete reset:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Micr osoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Did you have to change attributes on the folder to make it visible,
before hand, or can you see it with its present attributes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 2:40:28 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/09/2017 02:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have 6 different web browsers on this tiny Win 10 stick computer and Edge is one of them. My biggest gripe with the Edge browser is that there seems to be no way to get it to immediately switch to a new tab when I right click "open in new tab". It works in IE and my other browsers. I use Slimjet the most and switch to IE when watching Amazon Prime videos. If I need to check my meager bank account, I switch to chrome without the Browsec proxy enabled. If I try to access my account online through a proxy in Pakistan, the bank security kicks in.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.slimjet.com/

[8~{} Uncle Edgy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 03:17 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:38:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/09/2017 12:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:31:02 -0500, philo wrote:

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.

Would you explain this? Are you talking cookies, history, etc.?

No , I just posted that this hidden folder must be deleted for a
complete reset:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Micro soft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Did you have to change attributes on the folder to make it visible,
before hand, or can you see it with its present attributes?

I had to change attributes in File Explorer to "show hidden"

When I was done, I unchecked the "show hidden" box
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 04:00 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
\
snip

I have 6 different web browsers on this tiny Win 10 stick computer and Edge is one of them. My biggest gripe with the Edge browser is that there seems to be no way to get it to immediately switch to a new tab when I right click "open in new tab". It works in IE and my other browsers. I use Slimjet the most and switch to IE when watching Amazon Prime videos. If I need to check my meager bank account, I switch to chrome without the Browsec proxy enabled. If I try to access my account online through a proxy in Pakistan, the bank security kicks in.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.slimjet.com/

[8~{} Uncle Edgy Monster

On main main machine which runs Linux here are the browsers I have:

Chrome
Firefox
Vivaldi
Opera
Brave Browser
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 1:40:28 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:
On 05/09/2017 02:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

I used it twice then NEVER again. Piece of crap. Favorites are clumsily
handled, TABS...same. Must have been AMATEUR HOUR when it was included with Win 10.
=====

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 4:42:56 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/09/2017 04:00 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
\
snip
I have 6 different web browsers on this tiny Win 10 stick computer and Edge is one of them. My biggest gripe with the Edge browser is that there seems to be no way to get it to immediately switch to a new tab when I right click "open in new tab". It works in IE and my other browsers. I use Slimjet the most and switch to IE when watching Amazon Prime videos. If I need to check my meager bank account, I switch to chrome without the Browsec proxy enabled. If I try to access my account online through a proxy in Pakistan, the bank security kicks in.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.slimjet.com/

[8~{} Uncle Edgy Monster

On my main machine which runs Linux here are the browsers I have:

Chrome
Firefox
Vivaldi
Opera
Brave Browser

On this little Win 10 stick computer I have:

Edge
IE 11
Chrome
Pale Moon
Slimjet
Tor Browser

I haven't been able to get Tor to work yet and I think it's because of the limited memory in this little stick computer. I have the optional remote but the buttons are so small it takes my 4X reading glasses for me to make out the buttons. I use an old full sized Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse instead which makes the little computer useable. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/desktop.../p/99IC9SP0239

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideace.../dp/B01N9F8OWP

[8~{} Uncle Sticky Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 May 2017 16:39:42 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/09/2017 03:17 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:38:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/09/2017 12:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:31:02 -0500, philo wrote:

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.

Would you explain this? Are you talking cookies, history, etc.?

No , I just posted that this hidden folder must be deleted for a
complete reset:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Micro soft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Did you have to change attributes on the folder to make it visible,
before hand, or can you see it with its present attributes?

I had to change attributes in File Explorer to "show hidden"

When I was done, I unchecked the "show hidden" box

So what did all your effort accomplish in the end?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 02:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

The inability to organize and deal with favorites is why I gave up on
Edge too. Not only is the ability lacking in Edge, but the bookmarks
file, which used to be human readable, is now an unreadable system
type file, hidden away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 06:41 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 16:39:42 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/09/2017 03:17 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:38:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/09/2017 12:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:31:02 -0500, philo wrote:

That said, she has let other people use her computer so I thought
deleting the entire "Edge" profile a good idea.

Would you explain this? Are you talking cookies, history, etc.?

No , I just posted that this hidden folder must be deleted for a
complete reset:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Micro soft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Did you have to change attributes on the folder to make it visible,
before hand, or can you see it with its present attributes?

I had to change attributes in File Explorer to "show hidden"

When I was done, I unchecked the "show hidden" box

So what did all your effort accomplish in the end?

Had there been any malware within the user's "Edge" profile it would
have been deleted.

Of course I'd need to run a third party utility to see if it spread
anywhere...but the guy who said the machine was infected probably did
not know what he was talking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 05:57 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Well, I just updated the hardware on my two main machines.

The one I use for scanning film and slides also runs Photoshop.

I have finally have a quad core CPU and 16 gigs of RAM

I also upgraded my Linux machine to a quad core with 8 gigs of ram.

Most of this was with junk I already had sitting around but I did end up
spending $100 on the 16 gigs of RAM.

My Linux machine still had an XP hard drive in it, and I stuck that
drive in a machine whose H/W will not support Win10.

I have an old slide scanner with no drivers past Vista...so I want to
keep the machine...but not very likely I will use that scanner again

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 7:23:54 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

If I could learn how to code, I could write my own drivers for old peripherals. I wonder if there is a program to teach old farts how to code? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Farting Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 16:15:37 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

OK, here is one you probably know more about than I do:

I was at a friend's house and she mentioned she had a (male)
friend look at her slow-running computer. He said "Edge" had been
taken over by GCHQ. He then advised her to use Chrome instead.

My guess is that he read this article (or one similar)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...a_and_gchq_hav
e_been_using_anti_virus_software_to_do_surveillanc e.html

As far as I could tell, the machine simply had the usual problem
of too many un-needed apps running at start up.

As a precaution however I deleted the user profile from "Edge."

What do you think, was the guy just being paranoid?

He had not installed any anti-malware software on the machine so
have no idea how he made his conclusion. (Actually I do, I think
he smokes pot.)

When I got done, the machine was working ok.

What do you think.

I think he was being overly paranoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...2/nsa_and_gchq
[...]

You might be using it more often than you realize. See traders
post about printing a PDF file.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/2017 02:00, Uncle Monster wrote:
[....]
If I could learn how to code, I could write my own drivers for old peripherals. I wonder if there is a program to teach old farts how to code? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Farting Monster

Hello again, UFM! :-)

If you ask him nicely, perhaps Dustin Cook (aka Diesel) will run some
coding lessons for you - right here on the group!

Other folk could learn too. What do you think?

--
David B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/10/2017 12:46 AM, Diesel wrote:

You might be using it more often than you realize. See traders
post about printing a PDF file.

I print PDF's from Document Viewer in Linux

If for any reason I would use a Windows machine,. I'd use Adobe Reader.

That way Adobe AND Microsoft could have a copy of my grocery list etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David B."
news in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 10/05/2017 02:00, Uncle Monster wrote:
[....]
If I could learn how to code, I could write my own drivers for
old peripherals. I wonder if there is a program to teach old
farts how to code? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Farting Monster

Hello again, UFM! :-)

If you ask him nicely, perhaps Dustin Cook (aka Diesel) will run
some coding lessons for you - right here on the group!

I'd have to start from the very beginning. One cannot possibly expect
to be able to write system drivers without having any programming
background or experience prior. It just doesn't work that way.

Other folk could learn too. What do you think?

Based on the interesting reception to my presence i've observed so
far, I'm disinclined to take the time to 'teach' others about coding
here. Statements like '**** him!" and "I'm not going to take his
advice" have jaded me, ever so slightly from wanting to spend a lot
of my time giving coding lessons, having to start from newbie level
and work up to modern programming practices, without losing anyone
from the class along the way.

Coding is far more complicated than website design and scripting,
David. Especially serious coding. Which is the level one would need
to be at to accomplish writing a low level system driver that
interfaces between the OS and the hardware it's intended for.

Since we're thread hijacking, what did you think of the pic?

http://picpaste.com/8HdpRNLV.jpg

You still haven't given me your opinion. I'd like to know it, if you
don't mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 14:54:25 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/10/2017 12:46 AM, Diesel wrote:

You might be using it more often than you realize. See traders
post about printing a PDF file.

I print PDF's from Document Viewer in Linux

Smart man, sometimes. *grin*

If for any reason I would use a Windows machine,. I'd use Adobe
Reader.

That way Adobe AND Microsoft could have a copy of my grocery list
etc.

ROFL! Do you mind if I borrow this for a tagline? It would be
absolutely perfect!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/11/2017 05:21 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 14:54:25 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/10/2017 12:46 AM, Diesel wrote:

You might be using it more often than you realize. See traders
post about printing a PDF file.

I print PDF's from Document Viewer in Linux

Smart man, sometimes. *grin*

If for any reason I would use a Windows machine,. I'd use Adobe
Reader.

That way Adobe AND Microsoft could have a copy of my grocery list
etc.

ROFL! Do you mind if I borrow this for a tagline? It would be
absolutely perfect!

No problem, just send me half the cash you get !
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news 2017 02:21:39 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

No problem, just send me half the cash you get !

Diesel electric bus question Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 10 September 9th 16 05:15 PM
How to tell wniter diesel from summer diesel Ignoramus24757 Metalworking 12 November 5th 12 01:44 AM
Spare red diesel Tabby UK diy 0 May 16th 11 09:56 AM
diesel in 93 Ford gas Karl Townsend Metalworking 9 November 27th 07 04:52 AM
OT - Diesel Fuel Filter Question Laurie Forbes Metalworking 10 February 24th 04 05:01 AM