Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default What is cyanoacrylate accelerator for?

In message , James Wilkinson Sword
writes
On Tue, 09 May 2017 17:40:25 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , James Wilkinson Sword
writes
On Tue, 09 May 2017 16:32:23 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , James Wilkinson Sword
writes
On Tue, 09 May 2017 16:13:07 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Mike
writes
On Mon, 08 May 2017 16:43:20 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Grocery/B...elerator-Super
glue-activator/B005H0X8OS

In my experience, superglue sets instantly, usually before you've got
the workpieces together straight, why on earth would you need to
accelerate it?

In aeromodelling, superglue is used on all sorts of materials and
there are many different types available: thick, thin, medium, low
vapour, for foam. There are also accellerators and these can be very
useful when the material has little or no moisture in it or when you
are holding the parts together wating for the glue to grab.
- Mike

Between the ages of 10 and 15, I used to be a keen aeromodeller.
Unfortunately, in those days superglue was still many years from being
invented. It would have been a godsend for doing instant between-flight
repairs.

For many years, I have suffered from the tips of my fingers
spontaneously developing cracks and fissures - and these are
surprisingly agonising despite appearing to be absolutely insignificant.
I use superglue to immobilise the tissue and to create an artificial
scab (steam from the spout of a boiling kettle helps it to go off
rapidly!). After the glue has hardened, the pain relief is immediate.

Does moisturiser not help?

Yes - but not a lot. The fissures actually seem to start deep under the
skin, and work their way to the surface. Then it hurts!

Unfortunately, my fingertip problem precludes any possibility of me ever
being able to play a guitar like Mark Knopfler.

I'm surprised the glue goes any deeper than the moisturiser.

It doesn't. It 'locks' the two sides of the fissure by forming a scab,
and this prevents the split from constantly being renewed and failing to
heal (and this stops the pain).

I see. I thought moisturiser was meant to soften the skin so it
wouldn't keep splitting though. I guess it depends how dry your skin
is.

As I said, the split starts deep down, and progresses to the surface.
Moisturiser does help, but it would really need to penetrate one or two
mm to really be effective.

Also, if you're a busy DIY sort of person, it's not very convenient to
be constantly larding your hands with moisturiser cream.

--
Ian