Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Light fixture on a dimmer does not dim, it starts flashing..?

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 1:20:20 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 1:12:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:34:01 -0500, philo wrote:

I have Halogen lighting in the kitchen and the light is very good.

Obviously no problem with a dimmer as they are incandescent.

I see they now have LED replacements but a friend said the lighting
spectrum of the LED's is no where as good and can even cause depression.

I guess for the couple more $$$ I may spend on energy, I should keep them.

There usually is no "spectrum" in LED lights. They are pretty much one
color and dimming them does not change that. There is no hardware
reason why a LED could not color shift as it dims but it would require
a smart controller that tuned the color. I have not seen one like that
yet but it may be out there.

Check out the Philips Warm Glow. It does color shift. I don't remember
the numbers, but it's a soft white that's like 2700 at full bright, but
drops like 500 lower as it's dimmed. Looks just like an incandescent
when dimmed to me.

I've seen this simply done on equipment rack lighting...its just two LEDs in there, a white and an orange, set up so the white one dims with the voltage and the orange one dims slower,, so as you dim it down, you get more orange and less white..

it was pretty cool, so to speak;