Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Light fixture on a dimmer does not dim, it starts flashing..?

Hi,
I replaced a broken ceiling light fixture with a new one from Ikea.
The fixture is on a dimmer switch.
At max power it is fine, when I slide the dimmer down, the fixture does not dim, instead it starts flashing.
Does this suggest that the fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, or is it not wired correctly? The manual says nothing about dimmers. If a fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, is there some component I can add to make it compatible?

Thanks
here's the fixtu
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40262919/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:26:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
I replaced a broken ceiling light fixture with a new one from Ikea.
The fixture is on a dimmer switch.
At max power it is fine, when I slide the dimmer down, the fixture does not dim, instead it starts flashing.
Does this suggest that the fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, or is it not wired correctly? The manual says nothing about dimmers. If a fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, is there some component I can add to make it compatible?

Thanks
here's the fixtu
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40262919/

By "flashing" do you mean "flickering"?

I see that the page recommends LED's. Did you install LED's? If so, did you install
LED's that are specified as dimmable?

What kind of bulbs did you use?

IOW it might not be the fixture, it might be the bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:40:25 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

And the picture shows LED, though apparently it doesn't come with
them. 99% he's using LED or maybe CFL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 09:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Hi,
I replaced a broken ceiling light fixture with a new one from Ikea.
The fixture is on a dimmer switch.
At max power it is fine, when I slide the dimmer down, the fixture does not dim, instead it starts flashing.
Does this suggest that the fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, or is it not wired correctly? The manual says nothing about dimmers. If a fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, is there some component I can add to make it compatible?

Thanks
here's the fixtu
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40262919/

Are you using the regular old type filiment bulbs or the newer CFL or
LED type bulbs? Many of the newer ones will not work well with the
older dimmers.

That's correct. One has to have the type that specifically says it will
work with a dimmer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:53:20 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
[...]

And if you want to go further, LED manufacturer's typically have a list
of compatible dimmers that will work with their bulbs. So far, the LEDs
I've bought work with just ordinary, old dimmers. At least they dim OK.
But IDK if there are any possible longer term effects on life, etc by
using an ordinary dimmer instead of one that's on the list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2017 11:26 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I have Halogen lighting in the kitchen and the light is very good.

Obviously no problem with a dimmer as they are incandescent.

I see they now have LED replacements but a friend said the lighting
spectrum of the LED's is no where as good and can even cause depression.

I guess for the couple more $$$ I may spend on energy, I should keep them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:34:05 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

I have Halogen lighting in the kitchen and the light is very good.

Obviously no problem with a dimmer as they are incandescent.

I see they now have LED replacements but a friend said the lighting
spectrum of the LED's is no where as good and can even cause depression.

I guess for the couple more $$$ I may spend on energy, I should keep them.

I posted a new thread a couple weeks ago about the Philips Warm Glow LEDs.
They are the only ones I've ever seen that dim to what I consider to be
acceptable lighting for most areas. All the others you get a cold,
fluorescent light when they dim. With these you get an orange glow,
very similar to an incandescent. I've looked at them side by side and
you can't tell it's an LED. They come in various form factors, from
recessed retrofit to ordinary bulb type. They are the only ones I'd
use for an occupied area that you want dimmed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:34:01 -0500, philo wrote:

I have Halogen lighting in the kitchen and the light is very good.

Obviously no problem with a dimmer as they are incandescent.

I see they now have LED replacements but a friend said the lighting
spectrum of the LED's is no where as good and can even cause depression.

I guess for the couple more $$$ I may spend on energy, I should keep them.

There usually is no "spectrum" in LED lights. They are pretty much one
color and dimming them does not change that. There is no hardware
reason why a LED could not color shift as it dims but it would require
a smart controller that tuned the color. I have not seen one like that
yet but it may be out there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 May 2017 10:10:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Cool, I will have to look at these.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 1:12:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:34:01 -0500, philo wrote:

I have Halogen lighting in the kitchen and the light is very good.

Obviously no problem with a dimmer as they are incandescent.

I see they now have LED replacements but a friend said the lighting
spectrum of the LED's is no where as good and can even cause depression.

I guess for the couple more $$$ I may spend on energy, I should keep them.

There usually is no "spectrum" in LED lights. They are pretty much one
color and dimming them does not change that. There is no hardware
reason why a LED could not color shift as it dims but it would require
a smart controller that tuned the color. I have not seen one like that
yet but it may be out there.

Check out the Philips Warm Glow. It does color shift. I don't remember
the numbers, but it's a soft white that's like 2700 at full bright, but
drops like 500 lower as it's dimmed. Looks just like an incandescent
when dimmed to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 1:20:20 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I've seen this simply done on equipment rack lighting...its just two LEDs in there, a white and an orange, set up so the white one dims with the voltage and the orange one dims slower,, so as you dim it down, you get more orange and less white..

it was pretty cool, so to speak;
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 May 2017 07:40:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Not just MIGHT be - guaranteed to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 May 2017 10:40:51 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi,
I replaced a broken ceiling light fixture with a new one from Ikea.
The fixture is on a dimmer switch.
At max power it is fine, when I slide the dimmer down, the fixture does not dim, instead it starts flashing.
Does this suggest that the fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, or is it not wired correctly? The manual says nothing about dimmers. If a fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, is there some component I can add to make it compatible?

Thanks
here's the fixtu
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40262919/

Are you using the regular old type filiment bulbs or the newer CFL or
LED type bulbs? Many of the newer ones will not work well with the
older dimmers.

Many will not work with ANY dimmer. The bulbs need to be specified as
DIMMABLE or they WILL flash when dimmed. Been there - done that ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Depends what colour temperature LED you use. I use the 4000K and
above - what they call "daylight". I buy dimmable so they will work
both on circuits with and without dimmers. I had some non dimmable
3200K GU10s and they looked likd dimmed halogens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:26:15 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I bought some dimmable 100W equivalent LED's from earthLED to use in a
bedroom ceiling fixture. They dim down OK, it's the "dimming up" that's
a problem.

When you move the dimmer away from 0, you get nothing until - owww...too
bright - then you can dim them back down to almost nothing. The thing is,
I use dimmers mostly to avoid the harshness of turning on bedroom or
bathroom lights when it's dark. I just need a little glow and the LED's
I bought take too much power to initially turn on.