Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New Light fixture on a dimmer does not dim, it starts flashing..?

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:53:20 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 05/09/2017 09:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Hi,
I replaced a broken ceiling light fixture with a new one from Ikea.
The fixture is on a dimmer switch.
At max power it is fine, when I slide the dimmer down, the fixture does not dim, instead it starts flashing.
Does this suggest that the fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, or is it not wired correctly? The manual says nothing about dimmers. If a fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, is there some component I can add to make it compatible?

Thanks
here's the fixtu
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40262919/

Are you using the regular old type filiment bulbs or the newer CFL or
LED type bulbs? Many of the newer ones will not work well with the
older dimmers.

That's correct. One has to have the type that specifically says it will
work with a dimmer

And if you want to go further, LED manufacturer's typically have a list
of compatible dimmers that will work with their bulbs. So far, the LEDs
I've bought work with just ordinary, old dimmers. At least they dim OK.
But IDK if there are any possible longer term effects on life, etc by
using an ordinary dimmer instead of one that's on the list.