Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rickman rickman is offline

Default Semi OT, drip coffee makers

On 5/9/2017 10:49 AM, wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:44:53 PM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
On 5/8/2017 8:54 PM,
wrote:
I brew a pot of coffee every morning.
(electric) Drip coffee makers last about 6-12 months,
before something goes bad.
Often I can take 'em apart and find the bad bit.
This limps them along for another 6-12 months.
(I wasn't able to find the bad bit in the latest Mr coffee that
failed... grumble. (And the f'ing security bits.))
A new one is ~$30-40. Do I just keep throwing them
out? Another solution? I'll use a hand poured drip tomorrow, heat
water on stove pour through, let drip, add more hot water.
But I really like the convenience of pushing a button,
going off for the morning ablution, and coming back to a cuppa.
(Is cuppa only for a cup of tea.. in Oz?)

Isn't the failure usually the thermal fuse?

Sometimes yeah... I've 'fixed' maybe 3 of these now.
This time not. Last night I was thinking it could be something
in the micro processor, But I couldn't (didn't work very long)
get into it. Hmm maybe I can ditch the uP and just put voltages
on the wires to turn the relays on and off.. there's ~6-8 wires coming
from the uP area.

What is most likely bad? Switches or connectors. I don't think I would
bother trying to fix the MCU. If you are convinced it's not a fuse or
contact, I would suggest buying a new one this time. These things can
start house fires.

Have you considered a French press? I guess you still have to boil the
water.

Maybe you should complain to the coffee machine maker? I had a shower
head from Water Pic once and the collar broke after a couple years. I
wrote them complaining about the collar being made of plastic and they
sent me a metal one. Maybe Mr. Coffee makes a decent unit that won't go
bad a month after the warranty is up.

--

Rick C