Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New Light fixture on a dimmer does not dim, it starts flashing..?

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:40:25 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:26:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
I replaced a broken ceiling light fixture with a new one from Ikea.
The fixture is on a dimmer switch.
At max power it is fine, when I slide the dimmer down, the fixture does not dim, instead it starts flashing.
Does this suggest that the fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, or is it not wired correctly? The manual says nothing about dimmers. If a fixture is not compatible with a dimmer, is there some component I can add to make it compatible?

Thanks
here's the fixtu
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40262919/

By "flashing" do you mean "flickering"?

I see that the page recommends LED's. Did you install LED's? If so, did you install
LED's that are specified as dimmable?

What kind of bulbs did you use?

IOW it might not be the fixture, it might be the bulbs.

And the picture shows LED, though apparently it doesn't come with
them. 99% he's using LED or maybe CFL