Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default Semi OT, drip coffee makers

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:47:39 AM UTC-4, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
wrote:
I brew a pot of coffee every morning.
(electric) Drip coffee makers last about 6-12 months,
before something goes bad.
Often I can take 'em apart and find the bad bit.
This limps them along for another 6-12 months.
(I wasn't able to find the bad bit in the latest Mr coffee that
failed... grumble. (And the f'ing security bits.))
A new one is ~$30-40. Do I just keep throwing them

I dunno which one you are using but around here, the basic "just a switch"
Mr.Coffee 12 cup is only around $15 not including tax.

I've never had the base unit go bad, we're on our 3rd one in 15 years and
they are only replaced when we break the glass pot. Sounds stupid (and it
is) but they (Target) wants $14.99 for the replacement pot alone and a penny
less ($14.98) for the whole thing. So I have a couple spare base units under
the counter.

Like you, it's in use at least once a day.

It just dawned on me, what we do that is probably different is we don't
leave it running after the coffee is brewed. We always use a decanter,
something like this:

http://www.target.com/p/copco-carafe...l/-/A-16547936

and right after it's done brewing, pour the pot into it and shut off the
base unit. So the base just brews and we don't use it to keep the coffee
warmed. I suppose if the base is left on for hours at a time it'll shorten
the life span quite a bit.

Yeah that might be part of it. I leave to warmer on and they now have
timers to turn it off after 2hrs or something.

I've also lost a number of glass carafes.. I'm very cautious with the
carafe. I wash and dry it and put it right back into the machine.
(most breakage seems to happen when the pot is left next to or in the
sink and something else bumps it. A stainless steel pot is one answer.

So I guess if you picked up a decanter and get into the habit of using it,
the Mr.Coffee will probably outlive you.

Thanks Bruce,
George H.

-bruce