Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Post 46 - Rootkits

JJ
Mon, 08 May 2017
13:24:58 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sun, 7 May 2017 09:13:11 +0100, David B. wrote:

*Can an Apple OS X system suffer from a Rootkit infection too*?

A rootkit is just an exploit of software bug(s). If a software
doesn't have any bug that causes unhandled error, it can't be
exploited.

Umm. No. You may have exploited some software bugs to install it,
but, the rootkit itself isn't an exploit of software bugs. For
Windows, it's a new name for 'stealth' technologies. For unix, it's a
way to acquire the root account and hide your activities as you do
so, or establish another account with close to root rights, and, hide
it's existance. It's a 'kit' because you will have other programs
included which do various things for unix. Unix in the sense i'm
using it covers all families and relatives, for simplicity sake.

Exploits and rootkits are not the same beastie even though you may
have exploited software and/or the user of the machine to install the
rootkit.

In the real world, rootkits are less harmful than scamwares.
Because believe it or not, softwares have more defensive measures
than most users.

Depending on the software, maybe. I can't say whether they are less
or more harmful than other forms of malware, as the rootkit by
itself, could be used for legitimate purposes. It's like format.com
in the older days. Legit app, but, if used with /y and the user
doesn't know about it, not so friendly then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit

It didn't exploit bugs. It's a rootkit in the Windows terminology
world, but, as I said, it's actually stealth with support programs.
Think of an old DOS program that reroutes interrupt 21 subfunctions
to 'hide' various things from you. Or, A windows equ using hijacked
APIS to hide various things from you; which is what the sonyrootkit
does.