Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

Default Post 46 - Rootkits

The majority of Post #42 is true, except for a few things.

Just because some topics on this Forum are over ones head and they can
not make sense
of them, does not mean that it should be degraded and passed off as an
joke, there are
people on this Forum that fully understand the Subjects of the Topics
and want to
learn more and provide others with their knowledge of the Subjects as
well.....yes
there is quite a bit of BSing going on here and there, but I for one am
here to try
to give and provide honest Help and Advice.....and I know there are more
people being
genuine in Honesty than not.....

Performing an standard Disk Format and Reinstall of the Operating System
will render common infections incompatible, but not all Rootkits and its
accompanying payload of malware.....Rootkits work from outside the Operating
System and can hide in Bad Sectors of the Hard Disk thus have places to hide
on the Hard Disk that are essentially outside the Operating Systems
environment,
untouchable by it, yet still at hand.....

Most wiping, erasing, formatting, and partitioning tools will not overwrite
logical bad sectors on the Disk, leaving the Rootkits and their accompanying
payload of malware behind and still active.....
Rootkits in themselves are not an threat.....the danger is that Rootkits
have
the invincible power of Stealth.....Malicious Programmers can hide their
malware
safely inside the protection of the Rootkit.....

Rootkits reside in the Root of things, thus the name 'Root' that service
as an
protective container for the accompanying payload of malware, or on the
bright side,
the accompanying payload of Software Code with productive, safe
intentions, together
they are an 'KIT'.....thus the name 'ROOTKIT'.....and Rootkits are not
an joke.....

Once the Computer is compromised by an Rootkit with its accompanying
payload of malware,
all files in the System can not be trusted and are likely
infected.....this includes
all the System files, Software, backups, removable disks, and restore
points.....
Rootkits can not only hide themselves in Bad Sectors of Hard Disks, they
can also
hide themselves in the Boot Sectors of Hard Disks, CD/DVD, and Floppy
Disks.....
Rootkits can also hide in the Firmware of Hardware Components, in the BIOS,
Motherboard, Video-card EEPROM or Alternate Data Streams.....

Rootkits hide their processes, files, and folders by using sophisticated
hooking and
filtering techniques. As a result, traditional methods of viewing the
system state
typically return no indication of foul play.....the Rootkit makes sure
of that.
When an Rootkit is cloaked, system utilities such as Task Manager,
Regedit, will not
be able to expose the processes and Registry data that should betray the
presence of
the Rootkit. The lurking Rootkit files will not be viewable in Windows
Explorer or
even via the command line.....The Rootkit needs to be uncloaked, in
return the
Malware Components it was hiding become uncloaked as well.....

Removing an Rootkit is an two step process:

1). Uncloaking and removing the Rootkit.....this step involves using
special Software
tools that can find the Rootkit and remove it.

2). Removing the malware payload associated with the Rootkit.....this
step normally
uses conventional security programs such as Anti-Virus, Anti-Trojan, and
Anti-Spyware
scanners. This step may also involve manual deletion of some stubborn
Rootkit components.

Some helpful tools to help detect and remove Rootkits a
RootkitRevealer by Microsoft, Rootkit_Detective by McAfee, BlackLight by
F-Secure,
UnHackMe by Greatis, AVG Anti-rootkit by Grisoft to name a few.....

-drdos

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.ph...aterDave&st=45

--

*Can an Apple OS X system suffer from a Rootkit infection too*?

--
David B.
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

My drum auger came with a "root kit." Is that the same thing?

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 May 2017 09:13:11 +0100, "David B."
wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s

Do you agree with William Bowtrain?

--
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s

Do you agree with William Bowtrain?

About what ? Explain what he said.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s

Do you agree with William Bowtrain?

About what ? Explain what he said.
[]'s

He said ....

So-called "rootkits" are just another tool to scare the public into
buying the services of "anti-malware" code writers. "Rootkits" are
practically impossible to deliver and easily defeated by reinstalling a
clean OS, or simply a clean image. Even if hidden on a HD, the malware
becomes simple garbage. It has no way of being executed.
Just scare tactics. But it works.

--
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s

Do you agree with William Bowtrain?

About what ? Explain what he said.
[]'s

He said ....

No, in your own words. Explain what a rootkit is and how you
would go about removing one (if possible).
It's your thread. I'm amazed you have not contributed anything
other than 2 completely Off Topic cut and pastes.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s

Do you agree with William Bowtrain?

About what ? Explain what he said.
[]'s

He said ....

No, in your own words. Explain what a rootkit is and how you
would go about removing one (if possible).
It's your thread. I'm amazed you have not contributed anything
other than 2 completely Off Topic cut and pastes.
[]'s

He is trying to dumb it down for you third world **** hole dwellers.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 May 2017 09:13:11 +0100, David B. wrote:

*Can an Apple OS X system suffer from a Rootkit infection too*?

A rootkit is just an exploit of software bug(s). If a software doesn't have
any bug that causes unhandled error, it can't be exploited.

In the real world, rootkits are less harmful than scamwares. Because believe
it or not, softwares have more defensive measures than most users.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

JJ
Mon, 08 May 2017
13:24:58 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sun, 7 May 2017 09:13:11 +0100, David B. wrote:

*Can an Apple OS X system suffer from a Rootkit infection too*?

A rootkit is just an exploit of software bug(s). If a software
doesn't have any bug that causes unhandled error, it can't be
exploited.

Umm. No. You may have exploited some software bugs to install it,
but, the rootkit itself isn't an exploit of software bugs. For
Windows, it's a new name for 'stealth' technologies. For unix, it's a
way to acquire the root account and hide your activities as you do
so, or establish another account with close to root rights, and, hide
it's existance. It's a 'kit' because you will have other programs
included which do various things for unix. Unix in the sense i'm
using it covers all families and relatives, for simplicity sake.

Exploits and rootkits are not the same beastie even though you may
have exploited software and/or the user of the machine to install the
rootkit.

In the real world, rootkits are less harmful than scamwares.
Because believe it or not, softwares have more defensive measures
than most users.

Depending on the software, maybe. I can't say whether they are less
or more harmful than other forms of malware, as the rootkit by
itself, could be used for legitimate purposes. It's like format.com
in the older days. Legit app, but, if used with /y and the user
doesn't know about it, not so friendly then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit

It didn't exploit bugs. It's a rootkit in the Windows terminology
world, but, as I said, it's actually stealth with support programs.
Think of an old DOS program that reroutes interrupt 21 subfunctions
to 'hide' various things from you. Or, A windows equ using hijacked
APIS to hide various things from you; which is what the sonyrootkit
does.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s

Do you agree with William Bowtrain?

About what ? Explain what he said.
[]'s

He said ....

No, in your own words. Explain what a rootkit is and how you
would go about removing one (if possible).
It's your thread. I'm amazed you have not contributed anything
other than 2 completely Off Topic cut and pastes.
[]'s

A rootkit is a stealthy type of malicious software designed to lie
hidden on a computer and remain undetected by antivirus software. It
enables continued administrative access to a computer, allowing access
to your personal information. Rootkits are frequently used in
combination with other malware to hide them from users and security
products.

There are a number of products available on-line which purport to find
and remove rootkits but I suspect that none of them would leave you
totally confident that your computer is 'clean' afterwards.

The main target market was Microsoft Windows but nowadays Apple
computers are also being targeted.

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

On 08/05/2017 14:24, JJ wrote:
On Sun, 7 May 2017 09:13:11 +0100, David B. wrote:

*Can an Apple OS X system suffer from a Rootkit infection too*?

A rootkit is just an exploit of software bug(s). If a software doesn't have
any bug that causes unhandled error, it can't be exploited.

In the real world, rootkits are less harmful than scamwares. Because believe
it or not, softwares have more defensive measures than most users.

Thanks for your post, JJ, but I think you should heed the words of
Dustin (posting here as Diesel).

You might like to explore some of the leads you can find here, too:-

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=finding+a+...b=v63-1&ia=web

Have a great day! :-)

--
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

"David B."

wrote:

[...]

You should credit the individual who wrote what you pasted here. So I
can properly correct their inaccurate information.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Talking to yourself again ?
You've lost it. Stark raving crazy.
[]'s

Do you agree with xxxxxxxxx ?

About what ? Explain what he said.
[]'s

He said ....

No, in your own words. Explain what a rootkit is and how you
would go about removing one (if possible).
It's your thread. I'm amazed you have not contributed anything
other than 2 completely Off Topic cut and pastes.
[]'s

CUT_AND_PASTE_FROM_https://www.eset.com_REMOVED

So, you no idea what a rootkit is ?
So why the post ? STALKING ?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

https://www.eset.com/uk/support/rootkit-detector/

So, you no idea what a rootkit is ?
So why the post ? STALKING ?
[]'s

Seems that you are a tad brighter than dear Dustin! :-)

I've used ESET in years gone by. They have a good reputation.

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

Shadow Wed,
10 May 2017 13:28:30 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

CUT_AND_PASTE_FROM_https://www.eset.com_REMOVED

So, you no idea what a rootkit is ?

That's where he swiped it? ROFL.

So why the post ? STALKING ?

Would there be any other reason?

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair

"David B."
Wed, 10 May 2017 21:38:51 GMT
in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Seems that you are a tad brighter than dear Dustin! :-)

LOL! Are you trying to recruit him? I didn't bother to search for
any of the keywords in the post you lifted, David. So, I had no idea
where you stole it. But, it's not 100% accurate, either.

That wouldn't be the first time an antivirus company has gotten
things wrong though.

See this one:

https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/irok.shtml

And indeed, the virus has corrupted files on the hard drive during
this event. Technical Details: Katrin Tocheva, Sami Rautiainen and
Alexey Podrezov, F-Secure

Which is not true. Irok doesn't corrupt the hard disk, doesn't
format the hard disk, either. I succesfully, tricked those experts
and infected users alike into thinking it did, by using an old copy
protection trick from the 80s. Neat eh? Simple, too. Very simple.

That's not the only incorrect statement they wrote concerning it,
either. It's just the funniest.

Here's one from your favorite antivirus experts former employer:

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-...-analysis.aspx
The virus may corrupt the data on the hard drive.

It does no such thing.