Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default What is cyanoacrylate accelerator for?

On Mon, 08 May 2017 17:42:35 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 08/05/17 17:20, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"James Wilkinson Sword" writes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Grocery/B...tor/B005H0X8OS

In my experience, superglue sets instantly, usually before you've got the workpieces together straight, why on earth would you need to accelerate it?

There are two types. One sets on exposure to air (moisture actually),
and the other requires an activator to set.

They all react to moisture. Accelerant is used when they dont react very
fast.

I've had CA smoke when applied to the correct surfaces. Ore refuse to
set for ages when applied to others.

Yes I've had smoke from plastics.

Apparently dripping it onto cotton wool starts a fire.

Yes:
https://youtu.be/fYFGTs6vQFU

I've also seen cotton wool lit with a match and burning violently after being soaked in liquid oxygen (ok a very long match):
https://youtu.be/k46SBv8EiS8

I'd love to see cyanoacrylate and oxygen at the same time :-)

Looks like every other combination has already been tried, here's lithium and liquid oxygen:
https://youtu.be/Mtb87I3xKUU

--
Sexy Sharon's sister saw saucy Sally swiftly suck seventy six soldiers sons.