Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default What is cyanoacrylate accelerator for?

On Mon, 08 May 2017 17:43:27 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 17:20 8 May 2017, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"James Wilkinson Sword" writes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Grocery/B...ate-Accelerato
r-Superglue-activator/B005H0X8OS

In my experience, superglue sets instantly, usually before
you've got the workpieces together straight, why on earth would
you need to accelerate it?

There are two types. One sets on exposure to air (moisture
actually), and the other requires an activator to set.

There's also the rubbishy superglue I have had from the pound shop
which doesn't set even if left for hours.

(Not to be confused with the watery variant they sell which squirts
everywhere when opened and sets immediately.)

I thought cyanoacrylate was a chemical which would be the same in every bottle? Is it watered down with something else?

--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.