Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default Vacuum pump from refrigeration compressor questions

On Sun, 07 May 2017 10:22:13 -0700, bruce2bowser wrote:
On Fri, 5 May 2017 04:56:35 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby wrote:

If the goal is storing frozen foods while avoiding freezer burn,
pulling the air out of aluminized mylar or thick polyethylene
sacks, then heat-sealing, is ok; if that's properly done, foods
keep ok months to years.

Yeah, but what's actually 'good'? Don't only the pro's do stuff
like that for the service or for astronauts or for museums? It
seems like food that old would eventually taste like a building
material or like styrofoam or polystyrene. I mean, its not like
you'll be eating at the Waffle House. It seems like it would be
just easier to run across to another state where there is food
or something.

A friend of mine spent $450 or so on a vacuum sealer unit, after
going through several cheaper units. He brings fish back from
annual trips to Alaska and packages it to have through the rest
of the year. Also vacuum-packs his jerky and sausage made from
local elk and moose. His concern is having stuff stay good for
the rest of the year, as opposed to decades.

My wife and I package lots of dried foods to take on camping
trips, as well as frozen entrees to have when car-camping.
Most of what we package is ok for a few years of room-temp
storage, which meets our needs.

For prepper-style long-term food storage without flavor loss,
get the commercial freeze-dried canned foods I mentioned in a
the approach of "run across to another state where there is
food or something" is contrary to the usual prepper mindset.

--
jiw