Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT bank notification of debit card use, continued

On Sat, 6 May 2017 21:43:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/6/2017 6:03 PM, Micky wrote:

I do usually pay cash, certainly almost always in the states. But
here the maximum I can get from a cash machine is afaict about 75
dollars a day. At least that's the biggest number they offer you. At
some machines you can type in your own number if you want, ... I did
get 125 once, but I know when I tried for 200 or was it 250, it
woudln't do it. And it didn't bother to say it might work if I put
in a smaller number. It just "This service is not available to you."

And though the machine is only 4 blocks away, there's no place to
park. I've become like the locals, parking illegally for something
short like this, but I don't like it.

You bank may have a limit but puerhaps the machine does too. I can get
$800 a day on mine. Of course is is less in euros ur to the exchange
rate.

Today I started high and worked down but and the most I could get was
about $125, at least at the bank 4 blocks away. And that doesn't last
long with restaurants, museums, and other admissions.

The commission is not high, about 3% on v. small amounts but 1%
above... I have to check again.

Back to the gasoline thing, why do they check if your debit or credit
card has enough to pay even for more than will go in your tank, but
if you plan to pay cash, they don't check in advance** to see if you
really have the cash?

Why would their remedy be different? They can hold your card until
they get a Yes, which seems to only take a minute because now they
give the card back to me only a minute, 2 at most, after I give it to
them. So if, after charging the gas, the electronic charge bounces,
they're in the same position they woudl be in if you were going to pay
cash and then didn't have any. **(I'm almost certain they don't
ask for the cash in advance, but I'll check. )